Wounded chicken ear. What to do next?

ottopt

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2022
I opened the coop yesterday morning and my opal legbar had a wounded ear that was bleeding out. I checked the coop for any sharp/dangerous things that she might have caught herself on, but I couldn’t find anything so I’m assuming that another one of my chickens was picking on her. I took her inside and cleaned her up, and I put neosporin on her ear. Today she seems fine, shes acting normal and has no problem doing normal things, but her ear looks pretty bad. Will it heal ok? Does anyone know what I should do? Any help would be great :)
B4C5D045-9BB4-4043-BC42-1A6495FD196F.jpeg
AB309CB1-BFCE-46DD-BDBA-16E39299FF2D.jpeg

here are both ears just for comparison. her right ear is fine, it’s just her left ear that is wounded.

Personally, I would continue what you are doing. Reapply the ointment as needed to keep it covered and moist. Watch for signs of infection. It may have been a very small injury to start with and drew pecking from others that made it worse. I would keep her separated until it's healed enough to not get pecked again and reinjured. A wire crate in the run where she can see everyone and they can see her reduces stress and makes reintegration easier.

I opened the coop yesterday morning and my opal legbar had a wounded ear that was bleeding out. I checked the coop for any sharp/dangerous things that she might have caught herself on, but I couldn’t find anything so I’m assuming that another one of my chickens was picking on her. I took her inside and cleaned her up, and I put neosporin on her ear. Today she seems fine, shes acting normal and has no problem doing normal things, but her ear looks pretty bad. Will it heal ok? Does anyone know what I should do? Any help would be great :)
View attachment 3403978View attachment 3403979
here are both ears just for comparison. her right ear is fine, it’s just her left ear that is wounded.
Try Ichthammol 20% drawing salve. I use it on my own wounds, and for dogs and cats. It will actually close the wound and heal it. I buy it by the jar full on Amazon. It is Squire (for horses). But guess what? It can be used on all animals, plus humans. At least, I'm not dead yet, and have used it for over 30 years. It's black, smelly and ugly, but it's good!

Attachments

• IMG_4540.JPG
    IMG_4540.JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom