1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Wounded RIR bandage?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2dancingrats, Mar 27, 2012.

1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Songster

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Haven't discovered my "mean hen" but she's attacked one of my RIRs. Her head has a nasty wound and her comb is damaged. Discovered her hiding in a nest box yesterday. Cleaned it up and put some triple anti-biotic on it (no pain reliever). Covered the biggest part of her injury with a bandage. Bandage is off today and the wound is still bloody. Can I use liquid bandage or "new-skin" on it. I'm doing what I can to keep the other birds away from her for now and frankly, so is she. Don't have a set up that will allow me to keep her completely isolated from them so I have try to keep them from pecking her wound some other way.. When they went out to free range yesterday and today, I closed the coop and only left them access to the run. Any advise? Especially interested in whether I can use the liquid bandage.
    Thanks much!!

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Yes to the liquid bandage! And spray the area with blukote to camouflage the wound. Re: the liquid bandage - I don't know what the wound looks like, but be careful not to enclose any tissue or feathers in the wound. Clean it well first!

3. Chicken Friend7

Chicken Friend7 Hatching

Oct 26, 2015
    Thank you so much!!!
    One of our girls had a scab pecked off her head, leaving a red bloody wound about the size of my pinky nail... I cleaned it and put several coats of some liquid band aid on it. It looks a lot better! Believing she'll be left alone to recover fully. If I think about it, I'll leave an update in several days. THANKS AGAIN!!! [​IMG]
    SHALOM ~ PEACE!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by