Wow! Look at the size of that egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Summer Dreams, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Summer Dreams

Summer Dreams New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    Three weeks into laying, my golden buff laid this jumbo egg. It weighed 2.9 ounces, but wasn't a double yolker. I thought the poor girl must have been traumatized by the size of it, but I guess she didn't mind. She's been laying jumbo eggs ever since!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Yummy:D

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    [​IMG] Did you weigh it?

4. One of the girls

One of the girls Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Is it fertile? And if so, are you going to hatch it and the other jumbos? You could be on to a new super sized line of birds.[​IMG]

5. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

here are some of my jumbos!

6. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG] Just came back in from my coop and had an egg like that though it was almost an ounce bigger it was 3.78 oz. LOL [​IMG] If I didn't know any better I would have thought I had a duck in the chicken coop lol [​IMG] I feel for the hen that laid the one I got just now and your hen too. This one was not a double yolker either.

JUST LOVE WHEN THEY DON'T FIT IN AN EGG CARTON. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  7. Summer Dreams

Summer Dreams New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    I weigh all the jumbos just out of curiosity. I wonder if all golden buffs produce jumbo eggs? Maybe I should buy some more of them and see...and try to find a better way to store the eggs, since they don't fit in the carton!

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We've had more jumbo eggs from the Golden Buffs (a.k.a. Red Sex Link- Meyers) than any other we've kept. Of course, this has to take a toll, long term. I'm pretty sure the Golden Buffs won't still be nearly as productive in another year.

9. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    is a golden buff.,,..a golden comet??....i have 2 golden comets.....i think thats who is laying my jumbos....

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Each hatchery makes up their own names for these hybrids (sex-links). No one knows for sure. Similar for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by