Wow - my new EE chicks like to FLY at a week old!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissCluck, Oct 30, 2009.

1. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

I had nine very nice Easter Egger chicks hatch last Friday. My goodness do they want to flap their little wings and take off. They leap around the brooder (I've already moved them to a larger one) and get quite a bit off the ground.

My Buff Orp, Black Australorp and Red Stars didn't do this.

Are EE's known for good flight?

It really is cute when they all get hopping and flapping.

2. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I'm not sure but I have only one EE and she is always flying around! When the others take off across the yard doing the run/flap thing she waits until they are all gone and then flies almost the entire way!

Today she flew on top of the coop which is almost 7 foot tall![​IMG] It was so funny, the rest of the flock were squaking and freaking out until she came down![​IMG]

3. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Last hatch everything was flying around and dive bombing each other by day 5, only 1 was an ee.

4. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] It sure is fun to watch!

5. missrose

missrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    my week old buff orp does her little flying thing as like a streching kind of thing. I am a little afraid of her getting out, so I have to close the door of the room there in just in case. better to have one loose in a room than the whole house.

6. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    lol. My Old English Game Banties did the same thing, it was so cute. But, from the best of my understanding E.E's are just a cross that lays green/blue/pink eggs, so how well they can fly would really depend on the parenting birds.

Good luck with your babies. [​IMG]

7. Maggies Pop

Maggies Pop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Middletown (No CAL)
    I have 2 that are just a little over 5 weeks old and they have been the same way. I get a kick out of watching them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by