Wow, predators already....

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
Well, I still have my chickies...umm, I mean PULLETS inside, as I have been very slow at building the coop and pen. First needed more wood, put that off, etc...anyhows, been working on it for 3 plus weeks now and my girls...um, ONE girl... are/is getting ummm...fidgety and pop out of their box whenever they want, giving mom a false heart attack, etc....

Actually Red is ok, it's Fussy who is the wilful one and jumped on the kitchen table this morn while Mom was fixing breakfast. Scared Red so much it gave her the runs. Poor chickens. If Fussy doesnt watch it, she is gonna become roasted chicken with Mom and my dear hubby, neither who have patience with her antics. Problem is, she is smart, i.e. easily bored. sigh...Anyhow, I digress.

Yesterday I painted the pen, and this mornin found critter tracks on the painted wood. Sheesh. And a cat has been hanging round, we havent had any stray cats in forever. I KNOW we have a possum in the area, nested and made a nuisance of itself last year. It didnt LOOK like cat tracks, looked like either the possum or a raccoon. It must smell the chicks, as I have them out with me all the time when I am building/gardening or what have you. This evening, they were "helping" me pull weeds with the spade of course, (they LOVE it when I pull out the spade), and it was gettin twilighty and Fussy started crying and crying. I wonder if she smelled somethin...cuz she was definitely tellin me "Mom, its TIME to go IN now..." and usually she doesnt mind stayin out til its quite past evenin....specially if there are worms to be had. hmmmm

NOW I am even more worried bout puttin them out...sigh....

Having a sleeping disorder, I see racoons all the time.
They climb our fence and wander all over the neighborhood... no fear.
We live in the suburbs, Not a Rural or excessivly wooded area.
Most people just dont know they are they, cause they sleep haha.

Watch out for those dang feral cats!! They are so resourceful and sly. One got 2 of my babies Friday morning. We caught the cat Saturday night going in for more chicks - it now resides 20 miles away!!

Back
Top Bottom