Wow - what did I get into? LOL

ThreeBs

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Hello!

I'm new! Our family has joined our neighbors in a chicken venture. We have three each of Black Marans, Australorps, and the sweetest little Speckled Sussex. We just spent 20 minutes watching them fall asleep standing up. Cannot believe how adorable they are - and yes, aware of the responsibility. SO worried we are going to do something wrong to these precious little things. 48 hours, already attached... oh dear. Especially considering that if we end up with Roosters they will have to go. Can't have them in the city limits. My son, the practical one, says he's not naming any of them until we know who is who, and what.

So, TONS of info... so much that I feel a bit overstimulated. When I had my son, my mom passed down the best advice - keep him fed, dry, and loved - originally given by my Great Aunt who was a Doctor for 60 years.

Can anyone condense chicken-having into such succinct advice? Any pointers? Please... I feel like I can't see the forest for the trees.

Thanks!

Howdy from Kansas, 3ThreeBs, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have have you aboard! I think a great primer on chickens is found in the Learning Center link below. Yes, it's lot of info but absorb it and will will be prepared for 90% of what comes your way in the chicken game. Best of luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC

There are always knowledgeable people here at BYC ready to help at a moments notice

Best wishes to you raising those little peeps up happy and healthy :)

Sounds like your practical son has a good head on his shoulders lol The Learning Center has great information, I've read and reread it many times and still trying to make it stick. Raising chicks has been scary, stressful, but so fun for my family.

Welcome!

Katie

When he was two he got bit by a goose at a farm. The Christmas following, we were eating Goose...
"what is this?" he asked.
"Goose" we told him.
"Goose. Like what at the farm bit me?"
"Yes," his father and I confirmed.
He ponders this a moment...then says, "Good."

Yeah. He's awesome.

Back
Top Bottom