Wrapping hathing eggs in foil during shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelefarming

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 6, 2010
I was told by a friend of mine, if I bought hatching eggs on here, to have the seller wrap them in tin foil. You needed to do this because the scanners the postal servives use would kill the egss. Just wondering if there's any truth to this.

don't know if there is or not, but I wrap them when I ship. It can't hurt...if it's right then you've protected them some. If it's wrong, then you've wasted a bit of tin foil. No biggie.

I would not wrap in foil because the eggs need air. They might suffocate to death.

I have received hatching eggs through the mail fine- the bad things are too much heat or cold, and being shaken up so much. Scanners might pose a problem too- I don't know.

I don't wrap the eggs in foil...let me clarify.....I wrap each egg in 1/2 a paper towel. place snuggly in an egg carton, tape closed, wrap that in foil and then bubble wrap the whole thing.

I don't see it as any different than the loads of folks who wrap their eggs in bubble wrap and tape up like little packages. Plastic doesn't breathe either.

Quote:
This is a very good point. All the eggs I have received were in bubble wrap. Ok, I change my mind. Tin foil all around!
tongue.png

I don't know if it would be enough protection from a scanner. I mean thick enough.
hu.gif

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing this. Our US Postal workers are exposed to this scan many bazillion times a day...how dangerous can it be to eggs wrapped inside a shell, inside paper towel/bubblewrap/newspaper/shredded paper/whatever, inside a carton, nestled in more packing material, inside a box?

http://www.hss.energy.gov/csa/analysis/reports/Laser_Safety_Report.pdf

Barcode scanners are a very safe class of laser which can only cause damage to the eyes (which chicken embryos do not have yet) if stared into for extended periods. If you'd rather be safe than sorry, then go for it, but...really? I've had 100% hatch rates from shipped eggs that came wrapped in nothing but paper.

I expect it might be overkill.

32476_tinfoilhat.jpg

I have a hard time believing that the postal scanner would do any damage to the eggs as well. And I love the cat picture! hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom