Wrinkled or Mis-Shaped Eggs, Ever had one? Infectious Bronichitis Info

Some of you may have read my thread on having to cull my flock. I don't have a concrete diagnosis of IB, but after talking with several different people and doctors the consensus is that my flock, at least the older ones have had IB go through the flock. I know that there have been several threads on here about weird eggs and wanted everone to be aware of this.

After talking with the Head of the Poultry Department for Utah State University, I have learned the following: Infectious Bronchitis is caused by the Coronavirus, and can be spread by wild birds, rodents, feed sacks, you could even get it at the feed store if someone with infected birds had it on their clothes or shoes and you came in contact with it, and brought it home to your flock. They told me that Infectious Bronchitis is very common, especially the mild strain, it can go through your flock with absolutely NO symptoms other than mis-shaped, or wrinkled eggs, which is the result of damage to the reproductive tract of the chickens.

There are other causes of wrinkled eggs or mis-shaped eggs, but Infectious Bronchitis is one of the most common reasons for them. I just wanted everyone to know about this and to be aware of it.

Here is a picture of my wrinkled egg, just so everyone can see what I am talking about......

1cf984c0.jpg

My girls are going through a hard molt right now as well the weather is still very warm for October. Here is an egg I just receive today from one of m older girls.

Is there still a possiblility it is IB? My older girls will lay eggs like this once in a while. I don't get them all the time, but it not a rarity either.

Back
Top Bottom