Wrong color egg for breed

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I have two cinnamon queens, three Easter eggers, one potential black sex-link and four Cuckoo Maran Easter eggers.
One of the Cm EEs is a rooster and I know the black sex-link, one of the EEs and cqs are laying normal eggs for their breeds, but I’ve been getting four brown eggs, light brown, not the normal dark brown for a CM or colorful EE, can Easter eggers lay brown eggs? I’m pretty sure if it was my cm ee the eggs would turn out like Oliver eggers, so what’s going on?

Attachments

• 6C0C2B58-5A21-4EBD-824A-FDE3338EA363.jpeg
    6C0C2B58-5A21-4EBD-824A-FDE3338EA363.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 23
EE's are not a pure breed, they are a mix/cross,
usually between a blue laying and brown laying breed.
Whether they lay a blue shell depends on the background of the blue laying breed in the cross.
Right keep forgetting what 🤦‍♂️ like tortoise shell cats- what I mean is they don’t look like anything out of the ordinary for an Easter egger, the Marans might be part EE or OE, they shouldn’t be laying yet but I already have three hens that I know are hiding eggs in our woods

EE's are not a pure breed, they are a mix/cross,
usually between a blue laying and brown laying breed.
Whether they lay a blue shell depends on the background of the blue laying breed in the cross.

Actually, many EE are NOT a cross between a blue egger & a brown egger.
Most hatcheries have flocks of Easter Eggers that are bred only among each other, the way you would expect a pure breed to be maintained, and they almost breed true for the blue egg gene (but not for specific colors of feathers, and the flock at one hatchery might be quite different than the flock at another hatchery.)

"Olive Eggers" a few years ago were usually a direct cross between a blue-egger and a dark-brown-egger, but now some hatcheries also have flocks of them that are working toward breeding true for the egg color genes.

Back
Top Bottom