Wrong feed and how to store it long term

catchthewind

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Vancouver Island
I just realized today that the feed store gave me layer feed last time I went instead of grower. I have 6-8 week chicks and they've been eating it for almos a week. Will it have done them any permanent harm in that amount of time? Anything I should watch for? Not sure what the symptoms of calcium overload are...

Also, they can't take back feed in their warehouse (even unopened) so they told me to keep the two bags of layer and gave me two of the right bags. I don't know of any sort of chicken rescues around here or I'd just donate it. If I put them in our freezer will they keep okay for a few monhs until the chicks start laying? It's milled by the feed store and they make small batches, so it's pretty fresh.

Oh yes, if you can freeze them that would be great. Just be aware when you take the feed out to remove it little by little, as the condensation as it thaws will make it moldy.

I wouldn't worry about a week on the feed myself. You will be ready for that feed in 3 months or 4- so don't get rid of it IMO!
smile.png

If summer weren't coming I'd say to just put it in an airtight bin for 3 months. But with the heat I have had some nasty feed in my garage as I stored it over summer.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Thank you so much! We're actually thinking of looking for an old (broken) deep freeze to use to store feed and treats and stuff in our basement so the mice can't get into it and it will keep it nice and cool over the summer even if it's not working. But for long-term storage we do have room in our working ones. (We have two, because we raw feed our animals and buy a side of beef for ourselves every year, so we need the space!) Good point about the condensation and mould. I have a 2-3 gallon ice cream bucket I tend to fill up with feed for them. Would that be too much to pull out at once after it's frozen?

Back
Top Bottom