Wry neck (crook neck) I NEED ADVISE PLEASE!

JesiLee

Hatching
Jun 18, 2015
Vanderbilt, Pa
Hello fellow chicken lovers. I was hoping to get alittle advise. We've had chickens for 10+ years now and I thought I had come across just about every ailment, condition and "special situation" possible with them. I was wrong. A few weeks ago I came across a woman looking for a good home for her 5 silkie peeps. I've never had silkies but fell in love instantly.
1f60d.png
All was going great until last Wed when I found Lil Miss Muffet rolling around my baby coop with her fluffy little head between her legs. Of course she's my only dark chocolate colored puff ball. Her 1 sister and 2 brothers are all a reddish buff color and there is 1 bluish grey little girl. Sorry, I'm getting off subject, I get really attached. Anyway, I instantly brought her into the house and put her in a padded box so she couldn't hurt herself. Then, I began my research. From what I've gathered so far I believe it to be wry neck (crook neck). I had most of the electrolytes and save-a-chick probiotic. I went and bought vitamin E capsules, Niacin, B-12 complex liquid and a big pack of poultry electrolytes, nutrients and direct-fed microbials (for mixing into her water). I've been mixing everything together with starter feed and a little water. I work so feeding her in the early morning and evening is my only option. She loves the food, she has no problem eating or drinking as long as I hold her head straight for a sec or two until she musters up the courage to hold it there herself. She'll eat for a few min...sometimes as long as 15 or 20 min, then out of no where she'll throw her head between her legs and start rolling around until I catch her. She showed improvement after just a few days on the meds but has seemed to plateau. She's only 8 weeks old so of course this is breaking my heart. I was hoping someone could tell me how long their case took to clear up, IF it cleared up, or Maybe someone knows something more that I could be doing to help my fluffy girl out. She doesn't seem to be in pain...just confused about why she's sitting on her head...lol.

Last edited:
You're doing great!
thumbsup.gif
That's exactly what I did to treat my little SP Wyandotte bantam when she developed the deficiency. You could also try giving her yogurt, cottage cheese, and scrambled eggs to boost her a little. She'll need all the protein she can get. I think it took about a week and a half or more for my Dakota's wry neck to clear up completely, but I've heard tell that it can take longer in some cases. Today, Dakota's a perfectly normal, healthy pullet, and you would never suspect there was ever anything wrong with her! There's definitely still hope for your baby.
smile.png

Lots of love,
~Alex

You're doing great!
thumbsup.gif
That's exactly what I did to treat my little SP Wyandotte bantam when she developed the deficiency. You could also try giving her yogurt, cottage cheese, and scrambled eggs to boost her a little. She'll need all the protein she can get. I think it took about a week and a half or more for my Dakota's wry neck to clear up completely, but I've heard tell that it can take longer in some cases. Today, Dakota's a perfectly normal, healthy pullet, and you would never suspect there was ever anything wrong with her! There's definitely still hope for your baby.
smile.png

Lots of love,
~Alex

Thats Dakota?! She is doing MUCH better! No more wry neck!

Back
Top Bottom