Wry neck *Please help!

moomee56

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
So. Cal
One of my chicks seems to have a lot of trouble keeping her head upright, the other is just fine and normal. I have tried vitamins, elctrorlytes, a combination of the two and it seems to maybe be even making it worse. Is there anything I can do for my baby? I am very worried that I might have to cull it

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Silkie Chick, 4 weeks 3.7 oz.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Turing head upside down and sidways, not being able to turn in right side up, stubling and falling
.3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 weeks
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing happened
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating and Drinking so far, normal
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop is normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Electrolytes, and baby vitamins (poly vi sol) and a mixture of the two. So far it seems to have made it worse.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? I will treat it by myself but if needed I will definetly take it to a vet.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Picture to be posted as soon as possible
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. newspaper

If you can help at all it will be greatly appreciated!

I have the same problem, same treatment. The chick is stronger, but still flopping around. It wouldn't stop crying tonight so I cuddled it for a while and it fell asleep under my chin and relaxed for a while.

Wishing you luck with your chick, too.

Thank you for your help so far! I am still waiting for her condition to improve, but I will give it a coulpe of days before I try someting new. It's a shame my first chick hatched ever had to get this!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom