Wry neck/stargazing problems

amama

Chirping
Mar 16, 2016
Midwest US
I have 3 guinea keets that are 6 weeks old. About 4 days ago we noticed one with wry neck, or stargazing. I have been giving her Nutridrench 4 times a day and trying to force her to eat/drink. None of our guinea keets will eat or drink if you are around watching, and she won't do either when I try. I'm not seeing any improvement in the keet, and feel like it's not right to let it continue, so thinking of putting her down.

Can they still eat/drink with wry neck? I would think she would have died already if she wasn't getting anything for the past 4 days.

How long should it take for the Nutridrench to work?

Why did she get this so late? I thought it was something you see pretty soon in chicks/keets.
Thanks

I have 3 guinea keets that are 6 weeks old. About 4 days ago we noticed one with wry neck, or stargazing. I have been giving her Nutridrench 4 times a day and trying to force her to eat/drink. None of our guinea keets will eat or drink if you are around watching, and she won't do either when I try. I'm not seeing any improvement in the keet, and feel like it's not right to let it continue, so thinking of putting her down.

Can they still eat/drink with wry neck? I would think she would have died already if she wasn't getting anything for the past 4 days.

How long should it take for the Nutridrench to work?

Why did she get this so late? I thought it was something you see pretty soon in chicks/keets.
Thanks
If it is indeed wry neck, nutri-drench will not cure it. Some people in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum have claimed success with a vitamin E regimen.

My recommendation is to use a good vitaming B complex at the rate of 1/2 capsule per one gallon of water. It has to be made fresh daily. Do not mix anything else in the water and make it available to all of the keets. You can do the vitamin E also . A search in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum can find threads abut treating wry neck.

Wry neck can happen at any time and is a symptom rather than a disease. Vitamin deficiency can be a cause as well as botulism.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Here is a really good link. I cured a bird with a tea mix of vitamin e. You need to give as much as possible. Also if your giving medicated feed don't it could block the vitamin e. It could be a vitamin deficentcy or an injury. I have my bird 3 days old with a syringe 3 times a day. I have a mix of the save a chick packets of probitotic and vitamins mixed with olive oil,molasses,clove,cinnamon,parsely,tyme,oregano,basil and cayanne. These are high in vitamin e just let it sit and give a syringe 3x a day. This is a really helpful link. This did cure my bird over bout a 2 week time. I hope all goes well and this works.

https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2014/04/preventing-and-treating-wry-neck-in.html?m=1

Missy

Ok, thanks. I'm a little confused though. Nutridrench has Vit.E and Selenium, both of which I had read are necessary to cure it. Why would I need different vitamin E?

They aren't getting medicated feed. Do you think she's still eating/drinking? Putting something in the water isn't going to help if she's not.

Back
Top Bottom