Wry neck treatment - Australia

Nicky-the-witch

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 31, 2013
Craigmore, South Australia
Hello,
I have a chick suffering from wry neck who was hatched by a broody. I have tried separating her from the other but she gets so stressed being away from Momma and siblings that I have put her back with them - I have read that stress will make this worse?
I have been treating her with selenium and baby vitamins - we do nor get poly vi sol here in Australia so I got another brand without iron.
I am confused about dosages - I do not want her to overdose!

Now that her suspected coccidiosis is controlled she is much more alert and active. She seems to be holding her own water and food wise (but is smaller than the other healthy chicks)

I have been giving water treated for the coccidiosis with a double dose of baby vitamins and a 100 mg selenium capsule in 2 liters water for the whole flock - which they do not consume all of in a day.

I have tried to top her up with extra selenium & vitamins but she stresses right out when I touch her now.

She can hold her neck straight - when is she is looking at something. She walks with it at about 20 degrees from straight to the right. When drinking she seems to not be able to tilt her head up for the water to go down - thats when her head goes right over (and when stressed)

She does not seem to be making improvements - but not going downhill either.

I have been treating coccidiosis for 6 days and the wry neck for 4 (she is 23 days old) - any advice on dosages/ what I'm doing wrong/right??

Poor little bugger is not having a very good start. First , when you are treating for cocci it isn't a good idea to give vitamins. Amprolium is a B group vitamin inhibitor. The way it works is to starve the coccidia . So by then giving a multi vitamin , like pentavite you will actually be canceling out the effect of the amprolium . I would deal with the cocci first. Then give 2-3 drops of pentavite daily and the contents of a vitamin E capsule over 2 days for the wry neck.

Poor little bugger is not having a very good start. First , when you are treating for cocci it isn't a good idea to give vitamins. Amprolium is a B group vitamin inhibitor. The way it works is to starve the coccidia . So by then giving a multi vitamin , like pentavite you will actually be canceling out the effect of the amprolium . I would deal with the cocci first. Then give 2-3 drops of pentavite daily and the contents of a vitamin E capsule over 2 days for the wry neck.
Oh OK - so if I start reducing the amprolium now and start with the vitamins again once I finish in a few days?

Were your chicks on medicated chick starter ? And what brought you to the diagnoses of cocci ? Blood in poop, lethargy etc..............
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a hold of the situation . The wry neck is a deficiency and over time can kill them, but the cocci can kill overnight!

Chicks were on medicated starter - chick lost all interest in life one day, stopped eating & drinking - no blood in poop - poop was just clear with white by the time I was aware of illness. Poop back to normal now though. I posted the question "what is wrong with this chick?" and consensus was cocci so I went ahead and treated it with amprolium 200 which I started on Sunday. Chicks vigor is good now - just the neck issue to deal with, which I am assuming is a by product of the cocci?

Thank you for this - what I should have asked was: -
the 2-3 drops pentavite to the chick directly daily- and the vitamin E capsule 1 over 2 days or 1 capsule per day for 2 days?
Is 250 units enough per day? I have looked at the vit E in the shops - comes in different strengths and quite expensive for the stronger dose (up to 1000 I think?)

Thank you for this - what I should have asked was: -
the 2-3 drops pentavite to the chick directly daily- and the vitamin E capsule 1 over 2 days or 1 capsule per day for 2 days?
Is 250 units enough per day? I have looked at the vit E in the shops - comes in different strengths and quite expensive for the stronger dose (up to 1000 I think?)

Do you think you are on top of the cocci ? If so go ahead and treat the wry neck. As I said amprolium is a vitamin inhibitor, so yes it may well be what triggered the wry neck. I would put 2 drops of pentavite ( without iron ) and half a vitamin e cap each day for at least a week.
In some cases it takes months for this to clear up. But it is certainly treatable.

Do you think you are on top of the cocci ? If so go ahead and treat the wry neck. As I said amprolium is a vitamin inhibitor, so yes it may well be what triggered the wry neck. I would put 2 drops of pentavite ( without iron ) and half a vitamin e cap each day for at least a week.
In some cases it takes months for this to clear up. But it is certainly treatable.
Hi.
How do you dispense the Vitamin e?
Obviously in water but what volume?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom