wry neck

moday

Hatching
Jun 2, 2017
Any suggestion on how to get Vitamin E and Selenium into a baby chick. I mixed the vitamin/electrolyte packet (yellow one from the mill) that is the energy booster. I pick up this chick and let him drink it but he's a mess. Neck is spun around backwards...probably wry neck is all I can figure. Is there a better vitamin supplement to eye drop it in his beak? thanks, Mike

Chick is only 2 days old.

With my white Silkies I found that adding Vet E a small amount of Selenium, and/or either B complex liquid vitamins or Polyvisol in their scrambled or mashed boiled egg did the trick. I also put B vitamin complex with electrolyte in their water. Never had luck trying to put it in their mouth. It usually takes 2 to 5 days to be really effective. I recently had an 8 week old Speckled Sussex rooster that suddenly had legs so weak he could barely walk. This system with the B vit and electrolyte worked but it took 4 full days and he slowly recovered and now is 100% again. I think he grew too fast, only thing I can think of because he is huge and none of the others had an issue.

I have vitamin B that I give the goats...is that the Vit B you are talking about? It seems like TSC has all kinds of poultry vitamins.

It does get confusing. Actually the B vitamins I had at the time were bi lingual (under the tongue) from the health food store cause I live so far from town. INstead of waiting on shipping I just went to the health food store again and got more for the rooster. You can't really overdose on them either which makes them really safe. I believe these are the most important ones they lack. I just squirt 2 or 3 dropper fulls on 5 to 6 smashed eggs, and add a dropper full to the trough on their big plastic water fount.

The electrolyte that I found the best is the one in the tan paper pouch, one is called chick boost and the other is called hen boost by Animal Health.

Just make sure the B vit complex is only B vitamins.

Did you not give the Vitamin E or Selenium? Were you battling Wry neck or something else?

Wry neck with 2 white silkie chicks and the roosters weak legs. Yes I first used the vitamin E and Selenium on eggs for all of them, and when they were better I just switched to B complex (no iron) and electolyte's and probiotics.

I'm still struggling with this chick. Can't believe it's still alive. Head is practically upside down from it's body. We've been giving it Vit E and Selenium but still seems to struggle but still not dead. Unreal but any other ideas? I think the only reason it's alive is we keep dropping food in it's mouth and dipping it's beak in water. What do you mean about putting vitamins on eggs? You mean crushed egg shells? thanks

No, there is no reason to give it eggshells. Scrambled egg might be good for easy to digest protein. Are you just giving e and selenium? If it was me I would give nutri drench or other appropriate multi vitamin mix, dropped on the side of the beak. The b vitamins are essential. It shouldn't take this long for you to see any improvement.

Yes, the B vitamin complex is VERY important to give. I either scramble an egg (no shell) or mash up boiled egg like I posted before, then add vitamin E by squeezing the capsule on the egg, squirt a dropper full of B vitamin complex (all the B vitamins together) and/or 1/4 crushed tablet of Selenium. Only then will you see improvement. I did not have access to Nutridrench or Polyvisol. So this is what I used, My Silkie chicks took a couple days, my large rooster (different problem with him) took 4 days to see improvement. Their bodies need to absorb and work on the extra supplements and that takes a few days.

Back
Top Bottom