Wry Neck

CaradineCousins

Songster
6 Years
Dec 29, 2015
Birmingham Alabama
Hi i have a 3 week faverolle that has come down with wry neck on saturday night. I started out with a slight crook that i didn't notice at first then bang. Now it's head is at it's feet. I am trying to give it vitamin e 400 iu's, vitamin b complex crushed into water, and regular water with an eye dropper. I am fighting to give it food i've made wet mash with scrambled eggs it only eats a bite. this morning i fixed oatmeal did eat a little better but i think i'm doing it wrong, I'm putting on a spoon and holding it's beak in it til it eats. I need advice on feeding it. I tried separating from mates last night it cried all night long, so i separated as you can see and I don't like it the other faverolle picks at it but at first i thought it was smell of food on it. I know it's happier where he can smell it. I have been told it's male because of dark black wing feathers at 2 weeks. sorry for the bad photo

the last photo was taken thursday or friday

Attachments

• IMG_1589.JPG
    IMG_1589.JPG
    437.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1588 (2).JPG
    IMG_1588 (2).JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1581 (1).JPG
    IMG_1581 (1).JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 11
Hi i have a 3 week faverolle that has come down with wry neck on saturday night. I started out with a slight crook that i didn't notice at first then bang. Now it's head is at it's feet. I am trying to give it vitamin e 400 iu's, vitamin b complex crushed into water, and regular water with an eye dropper. I am fighting to give it food i've made wet mash with scrambled eggs it only eats a bite. this morning i fixed oatmeal did eat a little better but i think i'm doing it wrong, I'm putting on a spoon and holding it's beak in it til it eats. I need advice on feeding it. I tried separating from mates last night it cried all night long, so i separated as you can see and I don't like it the other faverolle picks at it but at first i thought it was smell of food on it. I know it's happier where he can smell it. I have been told it's male because of dark black wing feathers at 2 weeks. sorry for the bad photo

the last photo was taken thursday or friday

Hey there, I've been dealing with a similar problem the last week plus, maybe what I wrote in my last post here will help you (as well as other parts of the thread): https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-advice-on-care-not-treatment.1379931/page-4

UPDATE: he ate so much egg i am so happy and relieved. He likes it a bit cold and from a spoon also drank water and complex from the spoon. I fed til he fell asleep then placed back in brooder. Wait and hour and try again. Oh so relieved i'm crying

I am trying to think of a name for him

Last edited:
Rocky made it thru the night. Just got done feeding and drinking. He sleeps alot while i'm trying to feed him, i gently blow on him and call his name and he wakes goes back to eating. I have found that cutting the vitamin e pill in half and applying to the top of feed in spoon is much easier to feed him

then with the eye dropper, his crop felt full and soft. I leave a small medicine bottle cap with dry feed for him to eat when he's in his pen but no water because he just turns it over and he and everything gets wet then he's cold and shivering, I do leave the heat source on all the time. I wasn't able to get any tuna yet and I don't want him getting tired of the scrambled egg but i mix that with his wet starter. I have ordered non medicated feed should arrive today or tomorrow but he and all my chicks are on medicated feed. Needless to say I am very attached this chick.......

these are photos from this morning

Attachments

• 381688EF-51B1-435C-924F-95E0B5477541.jpeg
    381688EF-51B1-435C-924F-95E0B5477541.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 9A7ECFA7-7DF4-4020-836E-904846B5E2E5.jpeg
    9A7ECFA7-7DF4-4020-836E-904846B5E2E5.jpeg
    497.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
today i am having hard time getting it to drink. It eats likes crazy but doesn't want water or vitamin water. Hoping this changes soon. But as long it's eatting i feel it's ok...

today i am having hard time getting it to drink. It eats likes crazy but doesn't want water or vitamin water. Hoping this changes soon. But as long it's eatting i feel it's ok...

At first we just hoped she was getting water through the mashed up food we added water to. Then when we held her upside down we got her to drink her water. Keep at it!

Update

so Rocky is doing ok, and thanks to Eggcessive’s reply to his not drinking liquid I am no longer stressing out. I now mixhis b complex water into his mash and make it real watery. Now can someone tell me how to judge his peeps sometimes it’s his chattery peeps but the video is what I’m talking about. Sometimes it’s very dominate and I cannot tell if it’s because of hunger, loneliness or just being a roo. I also wanted to share photos of his poop just in case something is off thanks everyone for helping me thru this
7625440E-46B0-4D30-A7A4-2B5112817BD3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom