Wry neck??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by williamsl77, Oct 29, 2011.

1. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    I have a six month old silkie holding her head to one side and walking backwards. Started out minor this morning, seemed to go away completely. Then I noticed it again. I decided to put her inside by herself and the stress of moving her seems to have made it worse. I couldn't even get her to eat inside (she's never been inside my house before). It is a lot warmer inside, so that hopefully is good for her. None of my other chickens are sick and this is my only silkie. She does seem to get picked on a bit by the other chickens. Is this wry neck? Is this likely due to head trauma from being picked on? Could it be from something else? I'm feeling like I want to leave her alone for a little while to let her relax, but of course will check on her to make sure she's eating and drinking.

What do you think? I've read vitamins can help... right?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Poly-v-sol helps. I had a chicken that was walking in circles with his head to one side, and this perked him right up. He's always been a little 'off' but this was more off than he usually is. No harm in trying the vitamins. It's kind of expensive though [​IMG]

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Had an adult polish roo that this happened to, one day fine the other not. The vitamins didn't really help him but he lived for about a year after that, we called him flip becuse he would flip head over heels when spooked. This just recently happened to a silkie pullet that hatched in early spring. I put her by her self and her head cruled under her chest. Ended up cutting off her top knot fluff because it would get stuck in her eyes. I didn't do the vitamins this time, just left her alone and made sure she ate and drink. Just two days ago I let her back in with her hatch mates, besides for the head being off a bit she looks like the rest. I did mix her chick food with layer and corn when I had her alone, I don't know if that helped or not. It took a few months so be willing to take some time with her and she might come out good. If not you could have a nice house pet. Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by