Wryneck

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I would concentrate on helping her to eat and take the vitamins. Hopefully, you will see some improvement soon. If she gets worse and you lose her or put her down, I would then get a necropsy by your state vet. That would let you know if it just wry neck or Mareks, and whether or not to add new birds to your flock. What type of feed do you give your birds?

27feathers

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2019
I would concentrate on helping her to eat and take the vitamins. Hopefully, you will see some improvement soon. If she gets worse and you lose her or put her down, I would then get a necropsy by your state vet. That would let you know if it just wry neck or Mareks, and whether or not to add new birds to your flock. What type of feed do you give your birds?
So she’s still holding on, and we’re giving her vitamins. I don’t think she’s getting worse, but she also doesn’t seem to be getting better. She flails her neck around less. We feed our chickens Purina poultry feed Layena Crumbles. If she does have Mareks, how long do you think it would take to kill her?

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Mareks is not something that has a timeline. If they eat and drink normally, they can live some time. They can be prone to infections and sometimes tumors may form in organs, including the digestive tract. Some chickens may die soon after the first symptoms.

Wry neck symptoms can last days or weeks, and sometimes does not get better. Most people treat for a couple of weeks to see if it gets better with vitamins and nutrition. Everyone’s situation is a little different, and it all depends on if you have the time to care for a sick chicken for a prolonged period or not. Some give it a few days or weeks, and cull. Have you checked with your state vet about getting a necropsy if you lose her? Here is a list of state poultry labs, and they are usually open M-F:

27feathers

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2019
Sad update. She has passed. My mom didn’t get a chance to check on her this morning, so I’m not sure how long she’s been gone. Last night she seemed more or less in the same condition she’s been. She seemed to be a bit weaker the last couple days, but not a whole lot. My parents aren’t willing to spend money on a necropsy and I don’t have enough money of my own.

Top Bottom