WTB Mandarin Ducks needing more info on them

josh44

Songster
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
I am wanting to buy mandarin ducks,

What are average prices for them,
Please tell me your experiences with them.

Are they agressive?
how big are they?
Do they really take 2 yrs to reach maturity?
how big of a breeding pen do I need?
Do they make good mothers? (ECT).

I have done some research on them and I am wanting to hear your own experiences with this breed of duck.

Please email what you know about madarin ducks and what is average prices for,
Eggs???
Ducklings???
Adult pairs ???
Also Where can I buy them?? Any recomendations.

Thanks for your help BYC 'ers

Last edited:
Mandarin Ducks are so pretty.
They need to be housed in pens at least 6 feet in height.
They have to have water to swim in, a wading pool works good.
They mature at 1.
They usually arent agressive.
They are good mothers, but only house pairs together,otherwise you may have a female dump the nest of another.
Mandarin ducklings can easily be tamed,but the older they get the harder it can be.
They are 18 inches
They are great climbers and unless clipped,they need a cover on their pens.
A Normal colored Mandarin pair usually goes for $80 or so. Young ones usually go for $30 each,but it all depends on where you get them.

I've never had them,but thought about getting some in the past and did tons of research on them.

Are they agressive?
Not at all, but the males get a little more territorial during breeding season.

how big are they?
A little smaller than a call duck.

Do they really take 2 yrs to reach maturity?
Most will mate and hatch eggs their first spring.

how big of a breeding pen do I need?
You can keep a pair in a raised call duck pen, but I advise giving them an avairy with a small pond. An 8'x8' pen will work for one pair.

Do they make good mothers? (ECT).
Yes the are excellent mothers.

I sell adult pairs only and I will most likely ship. You can check out my website for a lot more information.
www.sprucecreekwaterfowl.webs.com

Can you keep Mandarin and Wood Ducks together? How big of a pen would you need for a pair of each? Is it possible to tame them enough to let them free range or will they fly away? Do they need heat in winter and could I keep them in with my Seramas and OEG bantams? Are they messy with their water?

Most above is correct. I'd like to add, that the 18 inches thing would have to be if you stretched them out beak to tail, siting, they are no more than 10- 12 inches tops, wood duck size if that helps.
As for mature age, 1 is nat always the case. I have had them take 3 years to lay a single egg, same goes for most any wild duck, 1-3 years, just depends on the individual.
I never had the nest dumping issue, but my aviaries were 50x 200 12 foot tall too. kept mulitple species and pairs in each aviary never with an issue. Smaller pens , this would be an issue on.
As for price, buy yearlings, dont waste you money on eggs, they wont survive shipping very well, and most peoples eggs are higher thanthe yearling birds anyway. Average yearling pair prices are only $45 , $80 would get 2 pair in most cases. Many people are selling them way too high , $40-$50 a pair will get you some all day long, whites are $100-$125 per pair.
They need nest boxes for laying as well. PM me if you'd like to know how to build a proper one, will be glad to take you step by step on it.

Last edited:
They are not loud at all... I can't here them unless I go right next to their aviary. The wood ducks make a whistling sound and mandarin drakes make a sound that is hard to describe. I was planning on making a nest box page with pictures on my site today, but I just realized I have to upgrade to a premium plan... I'll get it up as soon as I can.

1lPook I am intrested as well I had a female until a dog broke down my door (got it fixed now so nothing can get in!!) I would love a pair and live in TN. Crystal

Back
Top Bottom