Wyandotte bantams and large fowl

sarah4hchickens

Chirping
Jan 4, 2020
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has housed wyandotte bantams witt other large fowl chickens? Do they go well together? I go have a large langshan rooster and I don’t know if it would be bad him mating with the hen. Thanks!

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has housed wyandotte bantams witt other large fowl chickens? Do they go well together? I go have a large langshan rooster and I don’t know if it would be bad him mating with the hen. Thanks!
I don't have Wyandotte bantams, but I do have bantams with large birds, and I have zero problems.

Now a really large rooster with a really small hen might be a problem. How large is he? Any idea of his weight?

I have the reverse situation: a tiny Sebright rooster with some large girls. He tries to mate with them, but isn't successful because the parts don't line up, and he has sometimes bloodied a comb or two. Tonight, he decided my Cochin was his lady. Why he chose one of the biggest girls I have, I don't know. The "heart" wants what the "heart" wants, I suppose.

I don't technically have any bantams but I have some "economy sized" easter eggers (they weigh just over 2lbs) and a couple of large langshan mixed dudes (idk what they weigh but their pops more than 11lbs.) They have all mated my small ee girls and so far there have been no problems.

I don't technically have any bantams but I have some "economy sized" easter eggers (they weigh just over 2lbs) and a couple of large langshan mixed dudes (idk what they weigh but their pops more than 11lbs.) They have all mated my small ee girls and so far there have been no problems.
Oooh! Dat's a BIG boy!

I don't have Wyandotte bantams, but I do have bantams with large birds, and I have zero problems.

Now a really large rooster with a really small hen might be a problem. How large is he? Any idea of his weight?

I have the reverse situation: a tiny Sebright rooster with some large girls. He tries to mate with them, but isn't successful because the parts don't line up, and he has sometimes bloodied a comb or two. Tonight, he decided my Cochin was his lady. Why he chose one of the biggest girls I have, I don't know. The "heart" wants what the "heart" wants, I suppose.
He’s pretty big, but not that large compared to some other langshans that I have seen. However, I also have an ancona rooster in that same pen (with 15 hens) so if he picks her, it would be fine. I will just trim the langshans nails and spurs.

A few years ago when I had more chickens I kept the banties and the large chickens separate....every time I tried adding smaller birds into the mix they ended up being killed by the larger ones. I hated it because I really wanted a couple of silkies and polish...But it never worked out. Maybe if they were raised together? Actually, I tried adding them with the bantam cochins, I had the same results.

Back
Top Bottom