Nov 30, 2009
Virginia
Does anyone own Wyandotte chickens?
Are they nice?
Do they lay a good amount of eggs?

All other information would be helpful!

Thanks!

Noah

I raise 3 different colors of wyandottes. They are all sweet, friendly birds. Some lay better than others. My Blue laced reds tend to go broody a lot. Their rose combs are good for cold weather since they are less likely to suffer from frostbite.

Well, I have only had my ten Silver Laced for five months now, ( hoping to see a lot of eggs by perhaps next month.) but they're . . very hardy. Mine are slightly friendly, but only the most "submissive" ones. Mine tend to be very clique or gang-like, whereas they spend their time with their own group, don't really like much attention except for food, and are very demanding for who is the dominant one, constantly picking little quarrels about who gets to sleep where, or who should listen to who. The best thing I like about mine is that not a single one has ever gotten sick or died (which is a common trait it seems so far)

Also, I would have to note that mine are hatchery quality, so. . . They're not as great as "good" wyandottes, but still very pretty, occasionally friendly, and probably going to be excellent egg layers. I'm pretty sure other people's wyandottes are a little more "pet-like" in behavior. I think mine just oup agrees on.take time and patience to socialize to people, but since they all agree with each other than running off at too close a distance, I just let them do what their group agrees on.

Back
Top Bottom