Wyandotte, Orpington, or Something Else?

CountingChickens

Songster
Jun 24, 2021
Louisville, KY
20210919_120905.jpg

So I couldn't resist! I love my six hens so much and have such a large custom coop, I went out and got 8 more chicks hahah. Does anyone know if chicken addiction is a thing? 🤔😏

At TSC, I was taken to the back where they jad their last round of chicks for the year. Amongst the chaos of my seven year old asking which one she could get, my mother pointing to all the ones I should get because they were cute, the employee joking/encouraging me to get more chicks than I came for, it was quite chaotic as I tried to distinguish each breed in the large aluminum brooders that had no typed or pictured description of the breeds. Instead, I had to decipher which breed was which based on names on the top inside of the metal hand-written in faded red Sharpie ink along with what I have learned from here, books, and articles about different breeds.

In a nutshell, I am quite sure I have identified the other seven, which would be 1 Cinnamon Queen (meant to get two but I grabbed an extra EE instead by mistake by mother's encouragement of its pretty markings) 3 EEs, 2 chocolate orpingtons, and one Wyandotte. They said the Wyandotte was golden-laced, however, since I am pretty positive she is a silver-laced based on her absence of yellow/gold and the two silver stripes going down her back.

This little babe is named Etta and she has me wondering just which breed she is. I lost track as I fumbled to quickly grab the chicks my daughter and mother pointed to get over the crowded metal brooders. I know TSC gave me a Silver-Laced Wyandotte that was mixed in with the Black Stars I picked when I knew nothing of the difference as it was my first flock 🐓

I'm rambling now. So here is a photo of her a day after we got her. Just a little yellowish white around the one eye mostly, same color for the belly, all black back (no stripes) and dark legs with pink feet. Oh and a few white wing feathers amongst the black ones. I'm guessing an Orpington but just saw that were only selling chocolate. (And I'm just going off photos from Google Images haha.) So thought I'd ask in case anyone wanted to share their lightening fast answers of expertise as I have seen y'all do many times impressively! Thank you for your time 🐣

I can’t help you on the breed but I wanted to say that absolutely chicken addiction(also known around here as chicken math) is DEFINITELY a thing….. you may need a bigger coop.
Haha oh my goodness, I have often wondered what that meant reading on forums here. Little did I know I'd soon fall victim to it!

And I can guarantee there will be additional space added to the coop come spring or a broody hen!

Thanks for the reply!

I can see similarities in the face, however, how old is this chick in this photo? Mine is all black on her back and wings aside from a few front wing feathers while her feet are more pink than yellow. But, I'm in no way a chicken expert that's why I'm here! Lol so thank you so much for your response!!!

Hmmm… her feet do look yellow in the picture but in real life they are pretty pale almost white. If her feathers come in all black and if they shine a beautiful green in the sun you’ll know for sure! Also, she will mostly likely be very docile! I love mine!
Australorps were the first breed I decided I wanted when researching chicken breeds before I got my first flock. But they didn't have any when I went. And this time for my second flock, they didn't mention having any! But who knows! In this case, I'm not sure if she would be a pullet or was possibly from a straight run brooder. Do you happen to know what to look for in cockerels?

Back
Top Bottom