Wyandotte sex link cross

inquisitivebird

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2014
I have been researching sex link crosses and understand that I need a gold male and a silver female for a sex link cross to work. However, when I put the following into the chicken calculator it comes out sex linked as well. I'm so confused. Can someone help me understand this?

Crossing a silver laced wyandotte rooster with a golden duckwing hen.

The cross comes out as 50/50 sex linked but I thought this wasn't supposed to work and I'd get all silver chicks as silver is dominant.

Screenshot_2022-10-07-00-13-28-47_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

The chicken calculator estimates what the adult plumage of offspring from a cross would look like, not the chick down. It's also unfortunately not always 100% accurate with these estimations; for example, I believe the males from this cross would look much more like silver-laced males but with yellowish leakage in the hackles and saddles because they carry the gold gene, not completely yellow like the picture shows. The chick down on these males will also be nearly or completely indistinguishable from the silver females out of the cross, so it doesn't work as a true sexlink because of that. Since the females inherit gold from their father in the opposite cross, they are distinct from the silver-looking males at hatch.

The chicken calculator estimates what the adult plumage of offspring from a cross would look like, not the chick down. It's also unfortunately not always 100% accurate with these estimations; for example, I believe the males from this cross would look much more like silver-laced males but with yellowish leakage in the hackles and saddles because they carry the gold gene, not completely yellow like the picture shows. The chick down on these males will also be nearly or completely indistinguishable from the silver females out of the cross, so it doesn't work as a true sexlink because of that. Since the females inherit gold from their father in the opposite cross, they are distinct from the silver-looking males at hatch.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I am going to do this cross simply because I can and am curious, and will post the results here when I do.

But also, what does incomplete lace look like? I can't find a description or example anywhere.

Just like it sounds, lacing that isn't complete. Let me see if I can find an example picture or two on google.

This is a Rhode Island Red x Silver-laced Wyandotte mix known as a Cinnamon Queen here. Your boys from that cross will probably look pretty similar to this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/pxl_20220730_113336277-mp-jpg.3205258/

This one is a Rhode Island Red x Gold-laced Wyandotte, but also shows incomplete lacing. I couldn't find any good pictures for a gold duckwing x silver laced bird, but the lacing will likely be similar to these with a different ground color.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/hredirect2.php?c=7702274

Just like it sounds, lacing that isn't complete. Let me see if I can find an example picture or two on google.

This is a Rhode Island Red x Silver-laced Wyandotte mix known as a Cinnamon Queen here. Your boys from that cross will probably look pretty similar to this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/pxl_20220730_113336277-mp-jpg.3205258/

This one is a Rhode Island Red x Gold-laced Wyandotte, but also shows incomplete lacing. I couldn't find any good pictures for a gold duckwing x silver laced bird, but the lacing will likely be similar to these with a different ground color.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/hredirect2.php?c=7702274
Neat, thanks for sharing that. It almost looks like a faux-mottling

Back
Top Bottom