Wyandottes youngster confusion

jxp

Songster
Aug 13, 2023
2 weeks ago, I went out to get the mail when I heard soft clucking from my side yard. I went to investigate and there stood a pair of Wyandottes in the shade of my privet. Well, hello.
A while later when I had to go to the car they were still in the side yard but came to tell me their stories. I put them in the back yard with my ducks so they wouldn't wander into the street. I've posted them on Nextdoor, FB, and C'list as well I've checked a few houses in each direction. No one claimed them.
Two days ago, one of them succomed to the relentless 100⁰+ heat despite constant fresh water and all the shade I could provide. There's been no eggs and no attempts at crowing so while I'm not sure of their age, I am sure they're not quite adolescent. The one that's left is super sweet and misses his/her buddy tremendously. If it's a girl, I've found someone with Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds around the same age that will sell me a couple (city ordinance says 3) if the little fella is a boy, I'll find him a home in the country.
His face says boy to me but her saddle is telling my girl. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230813_083424.jpg
    IMG_20230813_083424.jpg
    880.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230813_082105.jpg
    IMG_20230813_082105.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230813_081651.jpg
    IMG_20230813_081651.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230813_081448.jpg
    IMG_20230813_081448.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230813_081024.jpg
    IMG_20230813_081024.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230813_081141.jpg
    IMG_20230813_081141.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230813_081325.jpg
    IMG_20230813_081325.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230801_072302_01.jpg
    IMG_20230801_072302_01.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 20
2 weeks ago, I went out to get the mail when I heard soft clucking from my side yard. I went to investigate and there stood a pair of Wyandottes in the shade of my privet. Well, hello.
A while later when I had to go to the car they were still in the side yard but came to tell me their stories. I put them in the back yard with my ducks so they wouldn't wander into the street. I've posted them on Nextdoor, FB, and C'list as well I've checked a few houses in each direction. No one claimed them.
Two days ago, one of them succomed to the relentless 100⁰+ heat despite constant fresh water and all the shade I could provide. There's been no eggs and no attempts at crowing so while I'm not sure of their age, I am sure they're not quite adolescent. The one that's left is super sweet and misses his/her buddy tremendously. If it's a girl, I've found someone with Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds around the same age that will sell me a couple (city ordinance says 3) if the little fella is a boy, I'll find him a home in the country.
His face says boy to me but her saddle is telling my girl. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
I think girl.

Aww. Thank you all!
Her comb and wattles had me worried because they're kinda big and red for such a youngster. But she is the sweetest thing and it's breaking my heart that she's only got the ducks to play with... birds of a feather and all that. As long as everyone is positive certain 100% sure, I better get a move on. The small flock with her soon to be new besties is an hour and a half away.

She’s a hen, and looks quite mature, not a little girl. She may not be laying eggs because of the heat, or the stress of moving to a new place. She’s pretty though!

She’s a hen, and looks quite mature, not a little girl. She may not be laying eggs because of the heat, or the stress of moving to a new place. She’s pretty though!
Thanks for replying. I did think at first the 2 of them were not laying because of the heat and stress. Then after a couple of days, I searched the yard to see if they were laying in any of the spots where they'd been frequenting. For 2 weeks though? That seems a long time to go without a single egg between 2 birds.
Maybe she "decided" she "feels like" a rooster thus the facial stuff and curling that one top feather on her tail. 🤣🤣 I'll have to ask her her pronouns.

Last edited:
For 2 weeks though?
Older hens especially can go through long periods of not laying. Even non-stressed birds become seasonal layers, laying mainly in spring and early summer. She certainly looks healthy but Wyandottes are fluffy, with lots of feathers, so I am not too surprised one of them passed on.

3 month later update on Vanessa. Her and the 2 new young hens have settled in and made it through the August/ September heat (frequently above 100°f). Sherry - the sex linked New Hampshire Red, and Black Sunday White (named by a 4 year old but I call her Betty, it's less of a mouthful 😉) - the Barred Plymouth Rock never took a day off from 🥚 laying since they got here. Near the end of August, Vanessa joined in. On most days I get 3 chicken and 1 duck egg, which means my eating habits have changed a bit.
Since the chickens were not planned, a makeshift house was quickly assembled from an oversized crate, a pallet, and a dog crate. Altogether, that's a bit over 20 sf for 6 birds.
For a more permanent bird house, I made laying boxes for the hens and put it in the 🐕 house we built 3 years ago which the dogs like being on top of but rarely inside of. There's pine shavings on the cement floor and a cozy corner for the ducks. So now the birds have a 30 sf of insulated, vented, lit home near the pond and the trees. As of this writing - just after Thanksgiving - they lay in there but still prefer sleeping in the other place even though it gets down near freezing at night. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom