X-Rocks w/Staggers?

Brother Bill

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Knotts Island, NC
We have some x-rocks at 5 weeks and one hen staggers like a drunken sailor. No trauma that I'm aware of. Still goes for the feed and water. Looks pathetic. Not the largest nor the smallest of birds. Have a male that showed up lame this morning. It appears they bedded down on him.
Got him to eat and drink, but worried is someting hitting the small flock, or just the quirks of the X-Rocks? The other sixteen seem, fat, sloppy, and hungry. Raised the feeders to force them to stand while eating. Started letting them free-range in a 5X20' run to work on the legs. Limited feeding to twice a day so they eat all they want and some is left in the feeders for them to get dessert. They seem like en enigma to me.

I've isolated the two together to prevent crush during the night, and the hen will dust and peck when out in the run. The male did neither. They are both a little small to process.

Any ideas sor suggestions? We have some RIRs and barred rocks that do fine in adjacent lot and house. Also have WL pullets five weeks old, are they inherently skittish and stupid, or just indicative of the breed? Thanks, BB.

They sounds like they are getting just big enough to start falling under their own weight. I'd process for game hen size birds if they get worse. I usually get food up at stretching distance at a week old or so because they are such gluttons. White leghorns are known to be skittish as they are bred to be egg machines.

Sounds like it might help to give them a protein boost.If you mix something with your feed to get the % up,try to double or triple the mix for a few days and see if it helps. Will

Will, you have hit me with something new, a protein boost?

Give me some ideas or examples. I am niave enough to think the Flock Raiser would have what they needed.

Thanks.

BTW - the pullet is still staggering merrily along, eating, drinking and dusting to her delight. She staggers in and out of the run. The male is standing some, and still eating and drinking when he doesn't have to fight for a bite. Trying to get them through weeks seven and eight, then no more hot weather x-rocks. Lost three yesterday, got up over 90 and they just laid down and died like they just went to sleep. Didn't get to them in time to set a blower up for the run. Sort of feel like I failed them.

Brother Bill,
I used to buy this stuff the feed mill called Pro-Peak.It was made of bone meal,blood meal,feather meal and a few other things.It was meant for raising the protein % in your feed.The grower mash I use is only 16% but by using Pro-Peak with my mash I could raise the % to 21-22%.It was great stuff.If a bird started showing leg weakness I would mix it like 50/50(like a protein over dose) and many times within a few days would be back on their feet.Because it is made from animal by-products I can no longer get it at the mill.(because of the mad cow scare)
Talk to your feed guy.He may be able to help you with this.The first time I did it I couldn't beleive the results.
Don't feel you failed them,these are problems that can hit anyone.Mother nature can be tough sometimes.But I'm sure you'll learn something from this. good luck

Will

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom