Xtra Bird Brained - Daft - Runty Chick

reyecat

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 1, 2008
We got 32 chicks and they are a week old. They are all thriving, even the one that we accidentally put the waterer on :eek: Except one...

She barely has any feathers on her wings like all the other ones. She is sleeping way more than the other ones.... she seems a little lost most of the time. She goes to the feed and pecks and scratches a little but not as heartily or as much as the other ones.... drinks and poops but just seems slower. We are not changing anything for her but just watching at this point.

Should we do anything or just wait and see?

* I wouldn't. I'd start "boosting" that baby right away. She may have malabsorbtion syndrome, or brain damage, or whatever-- but I''d start "body-building" the little bitty.

how would I go about doing that? can you give me a link or a step by step procedure for body-building this chick?

* You'll have to probably take her out of the brooder separately to feed her at least a couple times a day--3 would be even better. The other chicks are growing faster and are more active and vigorous, right??, so you'll have to make sure they don't start bullying her or pick at her. Do a site search on 'malabsorption' -- a lot of people here have had chicks with that problem that are grown & gorgeous today and their past posts will give you a whole lot of help and advice-- And, I'm sure that their hindsight on their own 'runts' will also help tremendously. . .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom