Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tyandmacsmom, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Tyandmacsmom

Tyandmacsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    First chick hatched late last night. Is it normal it was on day 19? I have Australorp/Lavender Ameracauna cross chicks that all have pipped and are starting to try to get out of their shell, whereas the other crosses I have (sex link/Australorps mostly) I think I have one out of 6 that has pipped. Is it okay they are hatching early, and was there something I did "wrong" that is making them come early? The eggs were collected for about a week and left on my counter before going into the incubator, and my house is kept at 70 or so degrees, so I didn't think that we had it too warm so they would start developing before being put into the hovabator.

Thanks, I just had to share my wonderful news. How exciting! It's one thing to purchase chicks and raise them, it's quite another to have "your own" babies. :)

Miranda

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    congrats Miranda[​IMG]. Yep its different hatching your own.

If their hatching on day 19 it sounds like your bator temps are a little high. I know my eco 20 runs at 100 and most if mine usually hatch late on day 20, but if their hatching and piping it sounds like your good. You might just want to check your temps for your next hatch

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  3. Tyandmacsmom

Tyandmacsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. :) My temps say 99.5-100.3, it hasn't been completely constant but hasn't gone above or below those temps. Hopefully the rest of the little buggers make it out okay. I'll take pictures to post later after they all hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by