Ya'll ain't gonna believe this, some input please..........

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by griffinheather, Jun 1, 2011.

1. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    So, I have a white hen who keeps pecking the tops of her wings, just making a nice 'ground chicken' appearance of her wings. Ok, well, I read that blu-kote helps stop pecking, blah blah blah. Now, I have a blue hen. My hands are stained blue, she is stained completely blue, it's a royal mess. Tried to wash it off to no avail, and now she's determined to pick out every feather she has. Right now she's wrapped in a towel to keep her from pecking. Please, give me some ideas as to what to do to help me to help her not pull out every feather she has.

2. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Maybe she needs more protein in her diet? Also, I have heard that pine tar helps, but if she is plucking from all over, it may not be a good solution.

3. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    An extra dose of protien might help, cat food, scrambled eggs, yogurt, etc. Is she eating the feathers or just plucking them? If she is eating them, then it could be a protien issue. If she is just plucking them it could be stress, or even possibly going broody, but usually they just pluck from thier chest if it's broodiness. One last consideration, is it possible she is molting? I know not likely, ut just bringing it up. Oh, one other thing to check for is bugs, lice, etc.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I have a shirt with liberal blue speckles from a flapping hen, it does not wash out.

Did you check for parasites? There must be a reason why she is pecking, and the blu-coat may not correct that.

5. griffinheather

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    well, rght now she's plucking out the feathers that are blue...........any ideas about what to do about stopping that for the moment (and yes, i recently added more yummies to her diet to help out w/ the protein issue).

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:have you checked for mites? how about a hen saddle that may help. also you might get her some Dr. Bachs Rescue Remedy, it's great for stress. what breed of chicken?

7. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
  8. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    That hand cleaner go jo helps remove the purple from your hands,as far as your hen............i have used pine tar ,axle greese,purple,every thing....now i have peepers on them.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Try using vick's vapor rub on her, that should deter her from plucking out her feathers. It wont harm her neither.

10. griffinheather

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    a white standard bantam. Right now she's preening so maybe she'll forget about my blue mistake....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by