yard chickens scared of the yard

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CityGal / CountryWorld, Jul 4, 2010.

1. CityGal / CountryWorld

CityGal / CountryWorld Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Hi!
    I just got a Rooster, Hen and 5 chicks (learning to fly now) from a friend...
    We got them to roam the yard and eat bugs.
    They found the woods and won't come out, except for the Rooster,
    who comes out at dusk to go to the White pine (like at our friends house)
    to roost for the night.
    the Hen and her chicks will not come out of the woods at all...
    we have tried throwing scratch, hen and chick food near the edge of the woods to entice them out,
    even putting a bit in the woods for them to follow out.
    How can i coax them out without chasing them out?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Use a net or find where they are sleeping and grab them at night.

Good luck

Imp

3. CityGal / CountryWorld

Jul 4, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    We still have no coop, built... so i guess we will keep coaxing them closer,
    so they can get used to us... I think i am being impatient

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    You have to get a coop. Once they know it is their home, you won't have trouble getting them in. For now, the momma thinks she's safer hiding her babies in the woods. Get a coop as soon as you can...

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If you can put up some sort of pen to keep them in for a while then they will learn where home is and will stick around when you let them out. Although the woods will always be an attraction. Since they are new to your property they've decided the woods are the best place to hide and make their home. I don't know what kinds of predators you have in your immediate area but if they are hanging out all day and sleeping in the woods their numbers will likely decline very quickly. If you have forested areas you most likely have coyote, fox, racoon to name just a few.

6. CityGal / CountryWorld

Jul 4, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    yup got some materials for a make shift predator shelter for at night....
    hope to build a nicer coop before the late fall.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they don't have a coop, they have no place to "home" to. Since they are running free like that, it is only a matter of time until they will be killed by predators. The hen is probably keeping her chicks in the underbrush in an attempt to protect them from hawks. It is our duty as caretakers to provide protection for any animals in our charge.

8. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I agree with noodleroo. Get a place set up for them as soon as possible. The sooner the better. A mother hen is very protective of her babies so she probably won't come out anytime soon. Keep food out for them to keep them close. When the chicks get bigger, mother hen will not be so protective.

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    You can even use a doghouse temporarily, just make sure you can lock it shut at night! They WILL get eaten if they don't have a secure place to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by