Sadie

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
How tall should I make my fence inorder to keep chikens in??

BantyRooster

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Michigan
What kind of chickens are they? Banties fly better than large birds. They'd need a top of some sort or you;d have to clip their wings. Large birds, like Reds or Rocks can fly a little, but four or five feet should keep them in. For a few extra dollars I'd use 6ft welded wire as added insurance.

citrusdreams

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
My chickens get up and roost on a six foot fence. They didn't even use anything to get up there.

monathequeen

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Burlington KS
Hi, Welcome !!!
My fence is four feet high. I bought a roll of chicken wire and post. I have a post about every 6 feet. You may want to steak down the bottom with plastic or metal tent steaks to keep predators from slipping under and eating your bird's.
I have had all sorts of wild beast digging under the wire to gain access to the inside.
They lucked out and killed three of my Duck's.

Dug a whole and bent the wire and had a 'Duck Buffet" for dinner.
:(That was Before I steaked down the wire. Also, the chickens will slip out from underneath if they are really determined to free range.
Is this your first Chicken family ?

Last edited:

Sadie

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
I haven't gotten the chikens yet but I want an Ester Egger (Medium 6-7 lbs). I also should mention I have a dog (52 lb.). What do I need to do to make sure they keep seperate?

BantyRooster

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Michigan
What kind of dog? Some dogs will care less about getting your birds, some live for it. I have German Shorthaired Pointers and they make a living hunting birds.

I have 6ft welded wire fence with the bottoms bent and stuck 4 inches under the soil. Around the bottom I have 24 inches of chicken wire to keep the younger bird's heads inside the fence. That set up keeps my dogs out and the birds in.

Sadie

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
I have a mut, Lab/australian shepard. She doesn't pay much attention to my parakeets as long as they are in the cage.

Top Bottom