yard fencing

I'm very rural, so not much help there, but my coop is next to one of my horse pastures. It's fenced with 2"x4" wire horse fencing with hot tape on top, about 4.5 to 5 ft tall. The birds don't fly over it (nearly never!) but can scoot under, as I left a 6" gap at the base. On the lot line, I've got 4ft. goat fencing (4"x4") with hot tape, same height. If you select chicken breeds carefully, avoiding the really active fliers, That will help too. In town the het tape may not be legal, but it also keeps predators from climbing over! Mary

Is there a tutorial on how to make this is real fancy
1f60e.png

Hot tape - I like that idea, Mary! Hee hee - that might keep my Barred Rock from going over (she easily goes over the dog's x-pen panels that I am using for temp fencing). Silly bird..as soon as she's over the fence she's scrambling to find a way back in. :)

Chickengirls13...Pinterest! LOL. Put a finial or carved top on each post and voila!

LOL. Fancy as fancy does. I actually like the design with the raised top rail. Who knows what I'll end up with, though! :)

Last edited:
Hot tape - I like that idea, Mary! Hee hee - that might keep my Barred Rock from going over (she easily goes over the dog's x-pen panels that I am using for temp fencing). Silly bird..as soon as she's over the fence she's scrambling to find a way back in.
smile.png

Chickengirls13...Pinterest! LOL. Put a finial or carved top on each post and voila!
I like this one, but instead of that 2x4 on the very top of the posts...... string a wire or two between post tops on the inside of the fence line, that should keep them from landing on the top of the fence, which is what they often do before going over.....then a sharp finial on post tops for same reason.

See...this is why I am grateful to have joined BYC. Between all of your suggestions, advice, input, and own experiences - we are designing my fence right here!

Aart - great idea about the wire. I think I will in fact incorporate that. Keep little Barred Rock inside where she belongs. :)

See...this is why I am grateful to have joined BYC. Between all of your suggestions, advice, input, and own experiences - we are designing my fence right here!

Aart - great idea about the wire. I think I will in fact incorporate that. Keep little Barred Rock inside where she belongs. :)
I've read of a couple people using it with success....it just makes a lot of sense...and pretty cheap too, I don't think you need a big hefty wire, so it would be almost invisible.

Back
Top Bottom