Yard sale help

wombat

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Help!

The neighbors have invited us to join their yard sale ... we have a lot of children's stuff we no longer need. High chairs, strollers, the usual pile if baby stuff we no longer need.

Most of it is nearly new, and shows little sign of wear.

So ...

What's a fair price, compared to the price of new?

Can any yard sale pros help us put a fair price on this stuff? I'm just looking for a rule of thumb, like 1/2 the price of new, or 1/3 the price of new, or whatever.

Thanks!

if you want it to sell.... you need to put low numbers on it unfortunately.

say those big plastic jungle gyms... those sell for at least 250 on up new and I've seen those sell for 50 at garage sales and they are the first things to go.

depends on your neighborhood too.

if clothes are marked 25 cents to 2 dollars someone is more likely to pay even if the set is brand new and you paid 20 dollars on it... no one wants to pay 5 dollars for clothes. you put 2, maybe 3 on it... it will sell.

Last edited:
when it comes to yard sales I have found that you hardly get what something is worth. People want you to almost give it away. So start high and let them talk you down to what you think it is really worth. Or you could go to a store that sells used baby stuff and get a better price from them.

Last edited:
Sell your baby equipment on craigslist. Post it for more than you want for it (in case you get someone who wants to haggle) and make sure you include photos.

You will get a much better price than yard sale or consignment.

That said, if you want to sell it with no hassle, then I would go consignment over yard sale.

I would only sell low $$ items at the yard sale - stuff you don't expect to get much money for.

Cheryl

Usually here hi chairs are $10 unless they are really a high end one, and then $20. Clothes start at a quarter, sets $1 or more, and shoes are usually from 25-1.00 depending. Coats are usually around $3. One thing you learn about yard sales is this: the way people price their stuffs tell you if they really want to get rid of it, or they want to make money. You won't do both, although I always made $200 on mine, because I had 5 kids and took very good care of our stuff . . .and had a ton to sell. also, when it hits 11:00 on the last day, let them fill a bag for a buck. Great way to get rid of more and its a few more bucks you didn't have. Less to put away or give away!!!! Good Luck!!!

Thanks for all the help.

We planned on pricing the clothes very low.

It was the big-ticket items like playpens, strollers, kid-carriers, and all that sort of stuff that I was unsure of.

I'm not really up for the hassle of using craigslist and having to be available for weeks to move one item at a time.

One of the neighbors volunteered to drive a pickup truck load of Goodwill donations away so we can all throw whatever doesn't sell in his truck and that's that.

I do the "bag" sale the last hour of the garage sale $2 for a bag-shoes, clothing, purses, etc and what we don't sell goes directly to Goodwill so if I have people the last 10-15minutes of the sale I tell them- if you want it you can have it otherwise it's going to Goodwill and usually get rid of a fair amount with that as well.
Price your stuff to sell and it will go, I hate garage sales who price their things too high, I don't haggle with them, I leave without buying anything and so do most people so don't do that!
Good Luck hope you sell alot and make some MONEY!!!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom