Yard surveillance - Audio instead of video?

medusine

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2020
I'm letting my girls roam around most of the day in the yard. For spring & summer I sat out with them or had windows open, so I could hear & come poke my head out when they start squawking to make sure it's egg song & not "something predatory is eyeballing us". Now that it's getting too cold, I'd like to get something to allow me to still hear if they are making a fuss. Is there anything like that or do I just have to get a camera? I feel like the camera won't do me much good because of the size of the yard (and I don't want to be actively watching it all day). Then again, even if an audio surveillance system exists I don't know how much good it'll do me realistically, because of the amount of wind we get especially this time of year.

Or do any of the outdoor cameras have decent audio that would work for just generally keeping an ear on things (ie, not to "start recording" audio based on when there's motion or whatever)?

Or do any of the outdoor cameras have decent audio that would work for just generally keeping an ear on things (ie, not to "start recording" audio based on when there's motion or whatever)?
It's important to see what predators you're working with so you can know how to protect your chickens. You're likely not going to get much sound even from predators.

It's important to see what predators you're working with so you can know how to protect your chickens. You're likely not going to get much sound even from predators.
Well, once or twice I've heard the chickens all sounding the alarm at once & go out there & realize a hawk is perched low & looking at them. So I was more counting on the hens to be making noise when something's spooked them.

Well, once or twice I've heard the chickens all sounding the alarm at once & go out there & realize a hawk is perched low & looking at them. So I was more counting on the hens to be making noise when something's spooked them.
Oh, I didn't even think of that :lol: Sorry.
If that's the case, then a microphone system would probably work fine. It will need to be close to the coop so you can hear the hens and/or roosters making noise. But sometimes by the time they make noise, it's too late...
The safest bet would be to get a sound and video system to set up. But it's obviously your choice! Good luck ❤️

I have been amazed at the ”audio alarm system” my little flock has in place. I can’t see much of their roaming territory from the house, but in warm weather I can hear everything they seem to want me to hear. Aegis, the rooster, seems to be leading the chorus but everyone chimes in, in a tone that’s very different from any egg song. They’ve alerted me to cats near the run, hawks overhead, and even a hen trapped in a hay manger. It may be my imagination, but it seems once I’m on the scene and address the issue, they calm themselves and go about their business.

All that to say I believe an audio alert would be as good as visual. Maybe better, given they area you’d have to monitor.

Would this be as reliable in cold weather when windows and doors closed? Maybe. So far. Our coop/run set up is about 150 feet from our house. Unless we have music cranked up, and that would usually be only at night when the birds are closed up, I can pretty easily hear any unusual squawking. Something about that pitch penetrates walls.

The fact that you seem to know your birds well is certainly in your favor. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom