yawning, leg stretching, and side lying

mlabresh

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
I'm a brand new chicken owner. So I just wanted to see if these are normal chick behaviors or if I should worry?

Do chicks/chickens yawn? Occasionally I'll see them open their beaks like they are yawning, no sound coming out.
They seem to like stretching one leg out behind them - they do it when getting up from a nap, when settling down to sleep, while walking to the feeder... seems pretty normal (and totally cute). Every once in a while they'll be settling in to nap, stretch one leg out behind, and then sort of roll to one side and go to sleep. I guess I assumed chickens would always sleep in the same position? I didn't expect them to sleep stretched out on their side. they've also taken to stretching their neck out in front of them to sleep - that position makes them look like they might be dead, so I'm always watching to see them breathe when they do that.
tongue.png

Anyway. Those were some peculiar things I wasn't really expecting to see little tiny chicks do. Also, around what age should I expect them to start roosting? I have a stick going across their cage as a roost (about 5-6" up) and they occasionally try to get up on it, but can't quite yet.. and can't balance on it if we help them onto it. So, right now, they still pretty much sleep all piled up together (but are not piled together when they're awake).

Hello and welcome!

Yeah these are all totally normal chick behaviors. They "yawn" like that usually after eating, like they are settling the food. The stretching thing is adorable. Mine used to sunbathe under the heat lamp once in a while with one wing and one leg stretched out, nothing to worry about. They won't start roosting for quite a while yet - sometimes mine get on the roost, but they are six weeks and in the coop outside, and still sleep in a huddle.

big_smile.png

Yup, completely normal! They are pretty good at giving you a heart attack. It's almost as if they have narcolepsy & they just fall over to go to sleep in the oddest positions, often pig piled on top of each other & using one another as a pillow. As for roosting, mine start around 7-10 days I guess.
Oh &
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks everyone!
big_smile.png

Yes, mine are very narcoleptic. We actually started calling one Tipsy - she always seems to fall asleep standing up and then tips over onto her beak! Too funny.
tongue.png

And yes, they are insanely cute.
wee.gif

Yes, scared the crap out of me last year because they would fall asleep standing and then fall to the side and look dead. I would have to poke them to make sure that were ok ;p

This is so timely because I just got mine today, and they have been doing that too!! They are so cute when they fall asleep all stretched out.
love.gif
Another thing they are doing is eating and drinking a ton!! and pooping! is this normal? For some reason I thought they would be sleeping alot more, basically, they snooze for a short while, then eat, drink alot and poop!

Back
Top Bottom