Yay eggs! (and a stupid hatch question)

Nyrial

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
My button quail eggs from T-Rexxx came today!
wee.gif
Wow that was fast.

Question for you all.. if these were laid Monday and/or Tuesday, how long can I wait to set them? Only reason I'm asking is because I'm waiting on others that I ordered off of Ebay two weeks ago almost now (
somad.gif
) and I want to set them all at once. Will waiting till Saturday as long as I keep these turned going to affect my hatch a lot? Or should I set them, and then set the others seperately as long as I make sure they aren't going into lockdown within a few days of each other. (As in, set these tonight or tomorrow, then set the others when they get here like.. Monday if they get here then)

I was going to hatch in a different 'bator anyway, since the Brinsea isn't really big..

Sorry, bunch of stupid hatch questions.

I guess in summation, should I set these now and then stagger them, or will waiting to see if they come in the next two days hurt anything?

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is they are fertile for about 7 days and the longer you wait to incubate them the chances of them hatching go down. At least that is what a breeder told me. Hope it helps.

They will last 10 days easily, any longer and the success rate drops after that. store them at an angle and lean the other way every day to keep yolk from attaching to membrane.

Last edited:
5 days or less is the best. But i have had good hatches with eggs that were set at 10 days old. just keep eggs turned daily and try to keep temp stable so eggs don't start to incubate.

Thanks for all the information, I have a couple more silly ones as well..
I went ahead and set them that evening, still haven't gotten the others, so I figured that even if they did come, I would stagger them a week apart, and put the original into a still air for hatching. Which I would have to buy, which would make me very irritable, but that's beside the point
roll.png

So they go on lockdown.. day 14?

Also, my humidity has been swinging everywhere, I finally have it stabilized at about 45%.. the sponges are doing their job. Will those first 48 hours of erratic swings have killed them all?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom