YAY! My babies are showing their gender, I think.

Emilys3guppies

Songster
Jun 1, 2009
Toronto
DISCLAIMER: I wanted to say sex, but it seemed slightly inappropriate for a thread title even though correctly used. Gender, I recognise, is a social situation and not a physical one but seemed 'gentler' for a title. LOL.

Anyway, my 3 week old babies are showing their sex! I have 2 boys and 1 ambiguous baby that could be either or. LOL.

Here's one of the boys!
DSC06007.jpg

And here's my ambiguous baby. A little spotty a little reddy, boy or girl? I know that only time will tell, but I am interested in your best guess.
smile.png

DSC06013.jpg

Actually, the more I look the more I think 'boy'.

Thanks!
Emily

1st pic boy ,2nd pic girl. note the dark brown color in the neck feathers under the chin, girls not that dark. Males will always have darker color in that area, than female. In all colors,except white,which is a absent of color.

YAAAAAAY!!!!

This is perfect! I was hoping for a boy!

So, how should I split them up and when can I do it? I have 6 coturnix hens in my garage that are 11 weeks old. I was thinking of putting this guy and the little girl in with 2 of the big girls (rather, reintroducing them all to a new cage) for fertile eggs and leaving the other 4 girls on their own for eating eggs.

I cant say anything about the sex of the birds, I just wanted to say Kudos on the comments about sex and gender being diffierent. My lecturer calls it the 'holy trinity', Sex Gender and Sexuality. Bit sacreligious really.

Quote:
Well, this gets very complicated. If you want want 4 girls on their own producing...logically 4 eggs a day(for eating) , then keep them separate from any breeding stock. If you want breeding stock, then a 1 roo to 3 hen ratio is advised. Your numbers don't add up for me, but I think you could pull it off.

I'm just not sure what you want at the moment, so it's hard to advise.

Ken

Quote:
Well, this gets very complicated. If you want want 4 girls on their own producing...logically 4 eggs a day(for eating) , then keep them separate from any breeding stock. If you want breeding stock, then a 1 roo to 3 hen ratio is advised. Your numbers don't add up for me, but I think you could pull it off.

I'm just not sure what you want at the moment, so it's hard to advise.

Ken

What do you mean the numbers don't add up? Maybe I'm not understanding.

I have 6 grown hens that are 11 weeks old.
I have 2 three week old chicks...a male and a female.
That's a total of 7 female and 1 male.

My goal is to have sterile eating eggs (DH is skeeved by fertile) AND to have fertile hatching eggs. I don't need many, just enough for fun.

I understand that 1 hen with 1 roo will result in a very tired and abused hen. How and when do I introduce that young hen and roo to a few of the older hens? At what age are they old enough? FWIW, the 4 of them will be living in a wire floored rabbit hutch, 6 sq/ft, that's sitting empty waiting for them (better so none get territorial if I intro the olds to the news, right?).

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom