Yay! new member! advice?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sairi, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Sairi

Sairi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Hello, my name is Sairi and i mostly joined backyard chickens for the wolf rp (i know, i know)
    but... after i read some threads i realized that some backyard chickens would be great! i do have a pet cockatiel names pineapple (experience, sort of) and spent the summer at a farm. i surveyed my backyard, and i live in a small, isolated patch of woods in minnesota. i have a nice, huge backyard, and i think it would be much better if i had some chickens!
    though i joined the web for the rp.

anyways... where do i start?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG].
    Do you have a lot of predators in your area?
    What type of coop would you like?
    Have you thought about breeds that interest you?

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio......so glad you joined BYC and are thinking of getting chickens. Best of luck to you

4. Sairi

Sairi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013

5. Sairi

Sairi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    for predators, i think ive heard a few coyotes, but havent in the past 2 years. there are a few hawks and eagles around. for breeds, i havent done much reasearch. one of my buds has chickens and they say plymouth rocks.

6. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

My advice is to start picking out an area for the coop&. Run an also if your starting with chicks, pick out an area for then for there first weeks of life

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Sairi, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined BYC - no matter the reason. I think the first best thing to do is research in the Learning Center. It will get you off to a good start about the requirements and care of chickens. Then you might visit the coops section to see what suits your fancy. If you plan on ordering from a hatchery you can explore those as well. I've linked all these below. Good luck and most importantly, have FUN!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

2 people like this.
  8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great resources. Welcome to BYC.

10. Sairi

Sairi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks everybody! ive taken all of your advice and done some reasearch. up north in another month there are some lessons on chicken care 1'll be attending. i went into my backyard to have a look, and found an actual chicken coop! its very run down and is kind of broken in different ways, but i can fix it up. its very funny that i found it now, i thought it was a large doghouse! thanks everyone for your support, ive now been convinced to get some backyard chickens!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by