Yay! We have babies! Some questions about turkeys nesting...

moenmitz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Our year old Narrangassett just hatched 15 poults and two ducklings.
smile.png
on Thursday. Everybody is doing fine so far. Wondering if it will be ok to leave the ducks in with their "mom" or should I seperate them? If so, when? She hasn't seemed to notice they look a litttle "different" than her other babies. Sorry, my only internet access now is library, so I cant post pics. But trust me, they're cute!
big_smile.png

Also, I have another Narri, 9 mos old, who has a stash of about 12 eggs, but she sits on them only sporadically. We leave them alone, but I am wondering if she is ever goign to go broody, if they will rot first, and how long to leave them and see? Its been over two weeks for sure, and we have had a few hot, hot days-though the barn where she lays them stays significantly cooler. She sneaks into the hen's coop to lay them (not sure how she gets through their door) would she be more likely to sit if we isolated her with them? Is there a particualr trigger that induces them to start sitting? Curious, cuz the day after I threatened the aforementioned Narri with the roasting pan if she didnt sit on those eggs, she decided to start sitting....
wink.png

2 Bourbon Reds, also 9 months- one went broody outside under a dead tree a few weeks ago- we cant get at her and thought her missing for several days-so we are just leaving her alone and hoping nothing else gets her either! Second bourbon red either isnt laying or is stashing them where we cant find them. She gets alot of action from the Toms, but has not shown any inclination to be a mama. She is a bit smaller than the other girl-could she just not be physically ready yet? If not, will she miss breeding season all together? And what IS typical breeding season for Bourbon Reds?

Last edited:
Leave them with their turkey mommy but you will need to make sure they don't get into water. Baby ducks get their waterproofing from their real duck mommy's feathers. They will not get it from the turkey and will get chilled and die if they get wet.

You also are going to have an issue when the baby turkeys start flying up to roost. Baby ducks are still going to be flightless.

Back
Top Bottom