Yeah!!! chicks finally in coop!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by usalbrechts, Jun 8, 2007.

1. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    My 6-7 week old girls made it through their first night in their new coop. My friend who has chicks, but is really a novice like me says that I shouldn't let them out in the yard yet, they are still too young. I don't have it up yet but we are putting up a 12x12 run for them (12 chickens). If we get that up this weekend, can I let them out in it? And if I can, do I need to start supplementing grit to their diet??
    well, off I go to start up the clean up of my garage. It will be nice to be able to park in there again, since the chickens are gone!!! Yipee [​IMG]

2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    What is the weather like in your area? If it is mild, then you can let them out to play in a secure run which is safe from predators. My chicks went out to the coop and had daytime access to their run at 5 weeks old. ( heatlamp for them in the coop at night ) They really love the room both in the coop and outside. I give them access to a bit of grit but they may or may not need it because they can get some in their run. It doesn't hurt to have some there for them just in case. They are still too little to roam around the farm. [​IMG]

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    First, CONGRATULATIONS!! Can't wait to get my girls out permanently!

I've been taking my group out for field trips into the run since they were 1.5wks. I waited for 80 degree days, and only let them play for an hour. THEY LOVE IT!

Now they are three weeks, and out in it all day (after the grass dries, and if the temp is 75). I figure, if their mom was here, they'd be out in it. And they are SUPER bored in the brooder. Whenever I open the box they come running and peeping over, hoping for another trip. And when we get into the run, we don't have time to take them out of the box - they are already flying out to go play.

A farmer friend of my hubbies (an older man who's been a farmer all his life) can't believe we still have a heat lamp on them. He says that he turns it off for good at two weeks. Which just goes to show you that people do things lots of different ways and they all work out ok.

-Meghan

4. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    It is warm here in lower Michigan. Yesterday it was around 90. Today it is around 83. Around this time of year it is normally around upper 70's to 80's, with night time temps around 56 to 60. They seem to really want out. When I open the door to the coop they run to me and try to escape! I will get the run up in the next couple of days and get them out in the sun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by