YEAH!! FINALLY! First eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allison finch, Sep 28, 2009.

1. allison finch

allison finch Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My silkie/cochin crosses finally started laying. Their songs are loud and long! On the first day, I found two tiny eggs. Over a couple of days, they have gotten a bit bigger.

The first two in one day, in the nest with plastic eggs;

[​IMG]

The second egg

[​IMG]

The progression. The top left is the original egg. they proceed along, getting a bit bigger. The last one (bottom left) is a store bought large, for comparison.

[​IMG]

I don't notice a lot of difference in taste with store bought eggs. The yolks aren't as orange as I expected. Although they do not free roam, they get lots of treats including high protein treats. Hmmm.......

2. Luvducks

Luvducks Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Great News! I was so Happy and excited when I got my First egg last month. I have since put five in the bator. I also have silkies and one cochin hen. Cannot wait to see if they hatch next week.

Have Fun!

3. Congratulations on your first eggs. Always a proud moment for all of us.

4. Interesting to hear that you don't see a lot of difference between yours and the storebought eggs. I keep hearing there's no comparison.

Congrats on your first eggs!

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    congrats that is so awesome. I am still waiting for my girls to lay first eggs-how old is yours?? Mine are 5 months old now...woo-hooo that little egg is so cute!

6. allison finch

allison finch Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My four EE hens are 4+ months old. The silkie/cochins are 5+ months old. I far as I've seen, only the silkie crosses are laying.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  7. trilyn

trilyn Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Congrats!! If you can let them free range for just a couple of hours a day-close to roost time always works for me, you'll greatly improve the color and taste of your eggs. Just a thought! [​IMG]

8. fldiver97

fldiver97 Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!!!!! I thought having access to bugs, weeds and grass makes a bit of a difference in yolk color, flavor???? Also the knowledge that you know how your chickens are fed and housed and treated makes it all worthwhile.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by