YEAH!! FINALLY! First eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allison finch, Sep 28, 2009.

1. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My silkie/cochin crosses finally started laying. Their songs are loud and long! On the first day, I found two tiny eggs. Over a couple of days, they have gotten a bit bigger.

The first two in one day, in the nest with plastic eggs;

[​IMG]

The second egg

[​IMG]

The progression. The top left is the original egg. they proceed along, getting a bit bigger. The last one (bottom left) is a store bought large, for comparison.

[​IMG]

I don't notice a lot of difference in taste with store bought eggs. The yolks aren't as orange as I expected. Although they do not free roam, they get lots of treats including high protein treats. Hmmm.......

2. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Great News! I was so Happy and excited when I got my First egg last month. I have since put five in the bator. I also have silkies and one cochin hen. Cannot wait to see if they hatch next week.

Have Fun!

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your first eggs. Always a proud moment for all of us.

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting to hear that you don't see a lot of difference between yours and the storebought eggs. I keep hearing there's no comparison.

Congrats on your first eggs!

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    congrats that is so awesome. I am still waiting for my girls to lay first eggs-how old is yours?? Mine are 5 months old now...woo-hooo that little egg is so cute!

6. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My four EE hens are 4+ months old. The silkie/cochins are 5+ months old. I far as I've seen, only the silkie crosses are laying.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  7. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Congrats!! If you can let them free range for just a couple of hours a day-close to roost time always works for me, you'll greatly improve the color and taste of your eggs. Just a thought! [​IMG]

8. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!!!!! I thought having access to bugs, weeds and grass makes a bit of a difference in yolk color, flavor???? Also the knowledge that you know how your chickens are fed and housed and treated makes it all worthwhile.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by