YEAH, This will help to save on someones feed bill

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crazy huhn, Nov 6, 2008.

1. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    wow, if only I lived closer!!!

3. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    It sems to me that distance doesn't matter. Coupons could be mailed.

Is anyone talking to the produce section of their supermarket to get the spoiled vegs and fruit? You can get the stuff free or very cheap, cut off the bad, and have a lot of good feed. I found it easy to get them to part with it once they knew you weren't going to eat it yourself.

4. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Quote:I tried at my local Food Lion grocery. All meat, and bakery items go to a homeless shelter. All prepackaged bread was picked up by the distributor and the fruits and veggies were thrown away! I asked about the fruits and veggies, even offered to buy them but the store manager refused. What a waste! [​IMG]

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Yes, that is a waste! It looks like to me that it would not matter if you were going to feed your chickens with it. Non chicken people just dont' get it! [​IMG]

6. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    Did you ever stop to think that maybe the grocers are afraid of being sued. I used to work in a grocery store. And they were not allowed to give any of this stuff away because of the liability factor. People just create their only problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by