1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

year old breeding

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bandbaustin, Oct 6, 2009.

1. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    I just received a pair of midnight black shoulders that are a few months old. Will they be able to breed next year?? I know that year old hens can breed with older males but can year old males be fertile?

2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    oohh fun stuff.. i'm interested in the answer too as i'm about to really get into the breeding... i'm not sure of the ages of my peafowl.. they came with the lease of the property.. lol..
    but i know they're breeding.. this info will be good to know for their offspring i keep next year...

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Normally, hens do not lay their first eggs until their second year.

A very few do, and quite a lot of people are convinced males are not fertile at a year old, however I know of a person who had a pair of yearlings produce fertile eggs. This is very much the exception so best not expect anything next year from this pair..(if they were born this year)

4. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I don't know about a yearling, but I have a 2 year old purple pair that gave me fertile eggs this year. [​IMG]

5. littlepeep98

littlepeep98 New Egg

Oct 8, 2009
    do u sell peahen eggs

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Most 2 yr old india will produce chicks. I keep an older peacock 2 or older, with my yearling hens so if they lay, eggs will be fertile.

Guess there maybe a few yearling peacocks fertile,but would be rare.

Rare for 2 yr old pairs of india not to breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by