Year old hen cant stand or walk, no balance, just laying on side......

My husband read that a little molasses mixed with the water can flush out toxins. I am sure its too late to start it, but at this point I think I'll try whatever.

My girl is still alive and did peck at some food for me today. She let out one big stinky poo
sickbyc.gif
, we hat to move her crate outside to clean it up it smelled so bad! I'll keep feeding her water through the syringe. I don't see any way she could recover from this, but I'll give her a chance.

My hen is still hanging in there. I'm still syringe feeding her water. She's not making any noise, but she's alert and her comb is still red. She's stopped laying eggs.

Today my hen started eating wet layer pellets from a bowl, this is quite a step up from drinking water by the dropfull from a syringe! I'm hoping once she starts eating again she'll regain her strength and start to stand.

Another update. Today she was "talking" in her crate, and turning herself around. I thought she could go out supervised while the others free ranged. I put her down in a nice patch of grass and she pecked a little at the grass then started to try to walk. She topples a lot, steadying herself with her wings but otherwise she was fine, even joined the others in the dust bath hole (although she didn't bathe, the others helped her out by tossing some dirt on her). The roo did his dance for her and she declined his advances.

I have hope that she will return to her once springy self, even if it takes some time. So glad I didn't have her put down.

Thanks for all your support!

I have a hen with similar problems,
sad.png

shes about a year old, maybe just under - I found her in the henhouse 2 days ago in the morning lying in her side with her legs straight ought and stiff. I wrapped her in a towel and kept her in a box with some food and water, she seems alert and talks to anyone who will listen, she still eats and drinks but mainly just sits there, its day 3 now and she is living on newspaper in the lounge in the day and in a box at night. I put here outside yesterday as it was sunny and she laid an egg on the lawn! but today just lots of runny poos, no egg one of the poos was yellow and frothy and looked le it had a worm in it -others have been normal colour but just runny.
she will stand up if you lift her but then just droops down - her tail feathers and wings are down all the time. I really dont know what else to do for her. I cant afford a vet.
any suggestions?

Quote:
Sounds very similar to what I am dealing with. I think its going to take time to see if they can bear weight on the legs again and balance. My girl seems to be doing better every day but still has no balance.

This also happened to one our buff orps. Except that I saw what happened to bring it on. In their usual excitement to run out of the coop first thing in the morning, one of our girls was trampled and rolled down the ramp. From that moment on, she couldn't stand or walk. I brought her in, examined her feet and legs and found no obvious sign of breaks or sprains. We kept her inside in a container for over 2 weeks with no improvement. She could actually stand and bear her weight if you balanced her and didn't let her fall over. But, once down, she layed with her legs splayed out and flopped and pushed herself around. She started eating less, despite being offered all her favorite treats, and eventually she started losing weight and sleeping more. We felt it was only fair to cull her at that time. So sad. Hopefully, yours fares better and improves. :>

Thank you,
She is standing up and walking around for a few steps this morning before she sinks slowly down again - a huge improvement. I've noticed that her ears have a kind of white stuff on them, it looks like dust, her comb and wattles are OK though.

Quote:
You know, now that you mention it, my gal has had that white stuff on her ear. I thought it was just from the water I was feeding her via a dropper condensing on her earlobe. Perhaps it was just an ear thing.

Back
Top Bottom