Year old hen slow moving squatting

Pora

Hatching
Sep 15, 2021
Good evening. I have a year old hen that has been slow moving and squatting (penguin like) for over two weeks now. She has not been laying at all but is still pooping. I thought she may have been egg bound so was trying the Epsom salt baths to no success. We had her isolated thinking the worst, and that she would not last very long so tried to make her as comfortable as possible. after 3 days she seemed more alert so we let her out again. She continued with the squatting and sitting for most of the day. I call 4 local vets in my area and all had the same response, that they don't really deal with chickens too much and all they could do is put her down for us. As she is alert and doesn't seem to be in too much distress I don't really like the idea of it as she is a pet, but if she is in pain that may be best for her. I am looking for anything that may help her or advice on what to do next. Thank you in advance.
P
IMG_1459.jpg
IMG_1458.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg

She has the appearance of a hen with a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis, internal laying, or egg yolk peritonitis. Cancer is also common. Antibiotics (amoxicillin or enrofloxacin) could be tried, and some vets may use hormone implants to cause them to cease producing eggs. Spaying is possible, but risky. Unfortunately, this is very common in hens. As long as she continues to be active and eat, I would try to keep her comfortable. But you may want to make some plans to help her if she is suffering. Here is some reading:
https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/egg-peritonitis

She has the appearance of a hen with a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis, internal laying, or egg yolk peritonitis. Cancer is also common. Antibiotics (amoxicillin or enrofloxacin) could be tried, and some vets may use hormone implants to cause them to cease producing eggs. Spaying is possible, but risky. Unfortunately, this is very common in hens. As long as she continues to be active and eat, I would try to keep her comfortable. But you may want to make some plans to help her if she is suffering. Here is some reading:
https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/egg-peritonitis
Thank you very much for the reply and help.

Back
Top Bottom