Year old Sultan hen spinning in circles, staggers, and turning head side to side? Ideas?

dandilee170

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 16, 2013
My year old Sultan hen just started doing this. Walks couple of feet like disoriented, then spinning around in circles. Stops, staggers, stands there turning her head side to side. Her half sister hit her head when baby, breeder told me before I got her. She turns her head in a similar fashion, but no spinning or staggering. No injuries that I can see, good weight, eats and drinks when she can focus on it. Stool droppings are normal. Layings eggs like always, has no problem. Other 2 Sultans in same pen are normal. Was on wood floor pen (before went outside) where I lightly sprinkled seven dust to control mites before putting chickens in there. Put them in outside pen on ground with shavings. No other birds were in the pen before I put them in. Pair of Guineas in pen next to their pen but 6 inches separates the pens. Nothing in the pen that she could have hit her head on. I know crested chickens are susceptible to head injuries.
Has anyone had a chicken do this before? If a vitamin deficiency like E, B or selenium, would she start doing this all of a sudden instead of gradually getting worse? Sounds stupid, but something like a mite get into her head and cause her to act like this?
Any ideas, help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I took 2 videos of her. You can see the other 2 Sultans in the pen who are fine. And the guineas in the pen behind their pen.

Last edited:
I cannot see a video. With the symptoms you describe, I would treat a couple of weeks with 400 IU of vitamin E human softgels, vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet, and a little scrambled egg for selenium daily. It sounds like wry neck, a neurological symptom. Sometimes that can be a symptom of head injury, vitamin deficiency, and is sometime seen in certain diseases, including Mareks disease. Was she vaccinated for Mareks?

I cannot see a video. With the symptoms you describe, I would treat a couple of weeks with 400 IU of vitamin E human softgels, vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet, and a little scrambled egg for selenium daily. It sounds like wry neck, a neurological symptom. Sometimes that can be a symptom of head injury, vitamin deficiency, and is sometime seen in certain diseases, including Mareks disease. Was she vaccinated for Mareks?
I am having problems trying to include videos, figures. I don't believe the breeder vaccinated for Mareks. I was thinking wry neck, that's why I mentioned the vitamins. Question, I saw the softgels before, how do I give her that and the 1/4 tablet B complex? I have liquid Vitamin E, would that work?

I am having problems trying to include videos, figures. I don't believe the breeder vaccinated for Mareks. I was thinking wry neck, that's why I mentioned the vitamins. Question, I saw the softgels before, how do I give her that and the 1/4 tablet B complex? I have liquid Vitamin E, would that work?
And liquid B12 complex i have

The vitamin E softgels can be emptied and given orally or with a small amount of food. The B complex has all of the B vitamins including B12, and the B 1 thiamine needed. Crush 1/4 tablet into a bit of food or in a spoonful and give with a syringe or dropper.

finally figured out posting videos. Hope this helps to describe what I'm saying. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom