Yellow legs again?

TxChickenGeek

Chirping
Nov 24, 2020
So one of my hens has been poorly for awhile. We have been treating her...had a round of antibiotics. I don't think she has laid an egg in over a week maybe two. I have noticed that her legs and beak have been growing more yellow in recent weeks. She has had whiter legs, like the rest of the flock, until recently. Now they look more like they did when she was a chick before she started laying. Is this a sign she isn't laying right now?

😢😢 Sad tonight. Went to check on my Lisle tonight before bed, and we lost her. Looks like she was trying to reach through the bars of her quarantine cage (in there while she had antibiotics in her water) and must have twisted her neck somehow. (But she wasn’t stuck in anyway when I removed her.) Maybe she just collapsed. I don’t know. 😢😢

I posted this question above.

What is the specific bacterial infection diagnosed that you were treating with the antibiotics?
Hopefully you will send the bird to your state diagnostic lab so you will know definitively what the problems is and how to proceed.
What state are you in?

I posted this question above.

Hopefully you will send the bird to your state diagnostic lab so you will know definitively what the problems is and how to proceed.
What state are you in?
Texas- It was more of a preventative then treating a specific thing. I had her checked out cause she sounded garggly when she breathed. Turned out her lungs were clear but she had bloody fluid in her throat...like she had injured it somehow. Vet recommended some antibiotics to prevent anything else while the throat hopefully healed. She was sounding better this last week, but maybe more was going on internally, since she hadn’t laid for going on two weeks.

Texas- It was more of a preventative then treating a specific thing. I had her checked out cause she sounded garggly when she breathed. Turned out her lungs were clear but she had bloody fluid in her throat...like she had injured it somehow. Vet recommended some antibiotics to prevent anything else while the throat hopefully healed. She was sounding better this last week, but maybe more was going on internally, since she hadn’t laid for going on two weeks.
It is always terrible to lose a bird for any reason.
You are in luck though, you have lots of labs in Texas.

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (Main)
483 Agronomy Road
College Station, Texas 77843-4471
Phone: 979-845-3414

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Amarillo (Branch)
6610 Amarillo Blvd
West Amarillo, Texas 79106-1706
Phone: 806-353-7478

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Center (Branch)
635 Malone Dr
Center, Texas 75935-3530
Phone: 936-598-4451

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory – Gonzales (Branch)
1162 East Sarah DeWitt Drive
Gonzales, Texas 78629
Phone: 830-672-2834

Texas Animal Health Commission State-Federal Laboratory
8200 Cameron Road, Suite A186
Austin, Texas 78754-3832
Phone: 512-832-6580

I always hate hearing of vets prescribing antibiotics when they don't know what's wrong.
That was long the technique to prevent secondary infection until it was discovered how pervasive antibiotic resistance has become. They now know that as dangerous as that is, drug resistance can migrate between bacterial families through plasmids.
Millions of people a year are sick from these resistant bacteria that had no connection to the farm where they originated and it has also caused the death of hundreds of thousands of humans.

It is always terrible to lose a bird for any reason.
You are in luck though, you have lots of labs in Texas.

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (Main)
483 Agronomy Road
College Station, Texas 77843-4471
Phone: 979-845-3414

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Amarillo (Branch)
6610 Amarillo Blvd
West Amarillo, Texas 79106-1706
Phone: 806-353-7478

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Center (Branch)
635 Malone Dr
Center, Texas 75935-3530
Phone: 936-598-4451

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory – Gonzales (Branch)
1162 East Sarah DeWitt Drive
Gonzales, Texas 78629
Phone: 830-672-2834

Texas Animal Health Commission State-Federal Laboratory
8200 Cameron Road, Suite A186
Austin, Texas 78754-3832
Phone: 512-832-6580

I always hate hearing of vets prescribing antibiotics when they don't know what's wrong.
That was long the technique to prevent secondary infection until it was discovered how pervasive antibiotic resistance has become. They now know that as dangerous as that is, drug resistance can migrate between bacterial families through plasmids.
Millions of people a year are sick from these resistant bacteria that had no connection to the farm where they originated and it has also caused the death of hundreds of thousands of humans.
Thank you for the info. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom