Yellow "mystery chick"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by callieisspooky, Feb 22, 2014.

1. callieisspooky

callieisspooky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Carmel Valley, CA
    We just bought some chicks from our local feed store. Among them was an all-yellow chick - feed store owner didn't know the breed, and said she was not what they had ordered. I'm just curious if anyone knows what types of breeds start out all yellow?

Edited to add: 1) photos, and 2) wings are no longer yellow/buff, have turned white. She's about 2 weeks old here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    A lot of breeds start with yellow down. Can you take a pic of your actual chick and describe the color of her legs. You can tell a lot about a chick by its feet and legs.

3. Cole1895

Cole1895 New Egg

Dec 19, 2013
    that looks like my buff laced sebright..id say that's what she is

4. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Is her comb the same? Sebrights have rose combs not single combs. If you could attach a pic that would be ideal. Easter Egger could be a possibility.

5. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    Pretty much any breed that has white feathers will start with yellow down. The same is true for buff, wheaten, etc. So instead of focusing on the color, I would focus on the color of the feet, the shape of the head, eye color, type of comb, etc. In other words, just snap a picture and post it here.

Edited: Updated to remove the guesses since I missed the part about the beige feathers coming in. Can't the feed store look at what they ordered or was it a "packing peanut"?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Except only the Buff would have darker feathers coming in. Can't be any of the other breeds, they wouldn't have any buff feathers.

I agree, we need an actual pic of the actual chick. Look at the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum; you'll see one called something like "photo guidelines for this section." It will tell you what photos we're looking for in order to help.

7. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

She may be a very light buff color. My buff bantam cochin hen is almost blonde.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I think you misunderstood me--the OP's bird does have buff feathers coming in. Therefore it isn't one of the all-white birds that DCchicken suggested, which was the point of my post.

9. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

Oh I see.

10. callieisspooky

callieisspooky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Carmel Valley, CA
    I will update original post with photos - thanks for replies. This is my daughter's favorite chick, and it would be nice to know what kind it is :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by