Yellow peachick with some brown in back area? Any ideas on what it will be?

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that mine, the one that's from a BS split to Cameo/BS egg is male. I don't have more of the same color to compare it to, so I'm basing my *guess* on size and behavior.

-Kathy

@ autumnmfisher,
As far as an IBBS chick looking like BS, they are BS.
IBBS indicates color (IB) and pattern (BS).

Here's some basic info from the stickies. There is more info there, too, if you are interested:

(pasted from stickies)

Genetics:

There are two ways to describe how your peafowl looks- Color and Pattern. These are two very different descriptions. The best way to describe the difference is that pattern is the way the color is displayed and distributed. Several patterns can be present in a bird, but only one color. There are only 2 species of peafowl: The Indian peafowl (Pavo Cristatus) and the green peafowl (Pavo Muticus). All others are subspecies of the greens or color mutations of the Indian peafowl.

Colors:
Blue, Cameo, White, Charcoal, Purple, Bronze, Peach, Opal, Midnight, Jade, Taupe, Sonjas Violeta
The above are or are color mutations of the Indian peafowl.
Green colored peafowl belong to the muticus species (see below), or are hybrids between muticus and the India blues.

Patterns:
Patterns apply only to peafowl descended from the India blue. Patterns can apply to some spaldings (ie, emerald pied spalding) despite their Green blood because they also have India blue blood.

Barred wing- Wings are brown/tan and black 'striped'.
Solid wing (also known as Black Shoulder and abbreviated as BS)- Where the barring is on a barred wing bird will be the solid color of the rest of the bird. In an India Blue, it will display black/blue/green but can be other colors for other color birds.
Pied- White patches on body (result of leucism genes).
White eye- The black eye of the tail feathers will be white (or have white spots). Some birds can be white-eye without displaying white eyes.
Silver pied- Body looks white with patches of color.

I'd love to see more pictures of BS chicks of all ages if any of you have them. @DylansMom , how will my chick being split to cameo affect it's color?

-Kathy

I'd love to see more pictures of BS chicks of all ages if any of you have them. @DylansMom , how will my chick being split to cameo affect it's color?

-Kathy

Cameo is a sex-linked color, so hens cannot be split to cameo, they are either cameo or they're not. Males from this pair can be straight IBBS or they can be IBBS split to Cameo, if they are split it doesn't show, so the only way to find out would be to breed them. Most splits are invisible, unless they are white and pied splits, but pied is a pattern and white is sort of it's own little thing, not really a color. A male that is split to cameo can produce cameo colored daughters, no matter what hen he is bred to, you would need a cameo hen to get cameo sons.

Back
Top Bottom