Yellow Rat Snake

dwdoc

Songster
9 Years
Dec 13, 2010
Seffner, Florida
Ok, I have read many post on here about snakes taking eggs. I am more concerned about the snakes killing my birds. I have spotted two snakes in my yard just today a black snake and just 10 minutes ago a yellow rat snakes....

Rat snakes, black snakes and such are not going to hurt full grown chickens. They will take eggs and baby chicks. If you still have those babies shown in your signature, yeah, they are in danger, but your full grown chickens are not.

Just be careful of that "black" snake. If you see it again look to see if it is brown also. Then it could be Water Moccasin.

Pretty big difference in body shape between black racers and cottonmouth moccasins.

When I find a yellow rat snake on my property I catch then release them near my fixed hen yard or the rooster pen. Excellent rodent predators.

I agree! Great rodent control! And I agree that you'll want a safe area for tiny chicks. But, at least with LF chicks, I'd think they'd be of a safe size by the time they're 6 weeks or so.

I was thinking it is getting warm now and befor you know it there will be all kinds of threads about snakes. I dread seeing them. I have a natural phobia of them and can not for the life of me get over it...I tried hypnotism one year and it worked..the lady gave me the tape to take home and listen to it again, but I haven't. I think now, I will take it out and listen to it tonight before going to bed when I am in a relaxed state of mind....thanks for the reminder that they are coming out soon in Va. also.

I have a HUGE (over 7ft) rat snake that has been living in my barn for several years. I have let him have free run of it because I feel like the risk is worth the benefits he provides in rodent control. I still worry about him taking a Seabright because they are so tiny and to be honest he is big enough to take any of my bantams but so far so good...he hasn't taken eggs or birds..only rats.

I wouldn't worry about them..if they creep you out have someone remove them but please don't kill them. Having them around is a bonus at my house.

I already accidentally stepped on a little one last week. Walked out the back door, took 2 steps looked down and saw a little black wiggly squggly as fast as he could. Scared the crap outta me. I left him to go on his merry little way, and Im watching my step now. I used to hate them and kill all snakes on sight..I finally wised up. Now venomous snakes will get no pass from me, but Ive been fortunate not to have seen any since living here.

I hate snakes. I am petrified of them. When we got our 1st set of chicks last july exactly 1 week after a black snake got into the brooder and ate one of my babies. He will not eat anymore. I use moth balls. (not in the coop or brooders) around the brooders, coop and run. I also put garlic around. I have not had any problems scince than. I also put them in my well house and under my house. Try that. Just not inside. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom