Yellow sticky stuff on eggs

cochickmama

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
I have six hens and it seems most days I find the eggs with yellowish sticky stuff on them. Last week I lost a hen--thought she was eggbound, did the warm bath, the next day she looked the same so I did the bath again and within five minutes of soaking she went from dazed and wobbly to struggling and dying. The rest of the birds seem to be acting completely normal, running around, dust bathing, eating, drinking, poo looks normal--but there's the sticky stuff on the eggs. I haven't seen any of their vents oozing or anything--any ideas what it might be?

I have one of these about once aweek, and I believe mine result from the chickens breaking a soft egg with a thin shell, and eating it, then the goo getsall over another egg.

I'm thinking vent gleet is the problem, after researching. My birds do not smell so maybe I've catches it at the beginning.

I have one of these about once aweek, and I believe mine result from the chickens breaking a soft egg with a thin shell, and eating it, then the goo getsall over another egg.

X2 If you have 6 young laying hens, but only get 4 or 5 eggs a day, all the time, then someone is likely laying a softie and it's getting broken and eaten in the nest. The bedding, in the laying spot, will take on a soft, glossy nature as it keeps getting coated with egg protein.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my bird had pasty vent/gleet. I added more ACV to water and gave all the birds yogurt. After a day or so it seemed to go away. I haven't had this problem since.

Back
Top Bottom